What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British post war N81 proximity fuze details

Rrickoshae

Premium Member
Good morning, can anyone provide any info on this 1950s N81 naval proximity fuze?
There seems to be very little info about British N series naval fuzes on the web. Was it a service issue fuze, what weapons was it used with etc.

many thanks, DaveIMG_7230.jpegIMG_7231.jpeg

I may have posted this fuze but cannot find the reference in 2020?
I have no information on the ammunition it was used with but here are my file photos . Australian made.

Attachments

• N81 Mk4 a.jpeg
    N81 Mk4 a.jpeg
    156.7 KB · Views: 16
  • N81 Mk4 b.jpeg
    N81 Mk4 b.jpeg
    168.4 KB · Views: 16
That’s interesting ron3350. Does anyone know if T.G.Co. is Thomas Glover - still making military equipment in the 1950s?

Ok, cheers for that ron3350.
The fuze must have been in general use if it were used in countries poles apart yet nobody seems to have any documents referring to N series fuzes. Perhaps the navy was more disciplined in keeping its ‘restricted’ documents restricted!

Proximity fuzes used by 3.7” AA land service guns, possibly used on 4” naval AA?

Well I guess it could have been used in 4, 4.5 and 5.25 inch naval guns, maybe the 3 inch too, all naval guns in service in the 1950s.