What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British projectiles stamped on drive-band?

Darkman

My mate Ron has a number of projectiles that appear to be British/Commonwealth (17 pdrs, 6 pdrs and 2pdrs) but have the details stamped on the drive-band in the American fashion.

He wants to know if they are indeed British/Commonwealth, perhaps made in the USA under a British contract, or who else may have made them. He is also wondering if anyone knows the maker of the 2 pdr projectile marked with the monogram of a joined AK in a circle.

The projectiles are marked as follows.

17 pdr: APC 17 PR & 77mm VIIT NK 63 BHP FS 6 - 44 (Note that BHP is probably not the maker - as on some Australian made projectiles - but NK)

6 pdr: AP6PR 7CWT IVT TP RM 45418 6/42 LOT C - 78 A ↑

2 pdr: AK (letters joined and inside a circle) A.P. 2 P[SUP]R[/SUP] IVT LOT 428 3/42 ↑

Thanks for any information.

Attachments

• 17 pdr - 1.jpg
    17 pdr - 1.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 78
  • 17 pdr - 2.jpg
    17 pdr - 2.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 75
  • 6 pdr.jpg
    6 pdr.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 58
  • 2 pdr.jpg
    2 pdr.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 56
Here an APCBC 6pr I also thought was Commonwealth, although I dont know the manufacturer. I was wondering if the stamps are similar to the AP 6 pr , more so the broad arrow. There is also a arrow on bottom with an E above and 64 below. Could the manufacturer be IVI on the AP ? Industrie Valcartier Inc., Quebec.
SHAKY

Attachments

• apcbc 6 pdr 031.jpg
    apcbc 6 pdr 031.jpg
    275.3 KB · Views: 38
  • apcbc 6 pdr 034.jpg
    apcbc 6 pdr 034.jpg
    302.1 KB · Views: 36
I also have a 2pr proj with IV T,defintely not IVI.
I wonder if it is something to do with a tracer being fitted.

Actually this is answered in the 'recommended books' posting about the 40mm Bofors!.

Just goes to show how useful this site(community?) is.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Bob

Last edited:
Does anyone know who the manufacturer IVT is? It's funny, I just acquired this SP 6 PR a few days ago.

Attachments

• steel prac 6 pdr 001.jpg
    steel prac 6 pdr 001.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 28
  • steel prac 6 pdr 002.jpg
    steel prac 6 pdr 002.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 27
IVT is the mark of projectile rather than the manufacturer.
From the Handbook:
Shot, Practice, Q.F. 6-PR 7-CWT. The Mark IV differs from the Mark III in being made of steel instead of cast iron.

Thanks for that. S P 6PR 7 cwt IVT TP 4/43 M D LOT 2. M D would be the manufacturer then. Derwent Park, Tasmania.

Hmm.... If "MD" is indeed Derwent Park, Hobart, Tasmania (Australia), then maybe Ron's projectiles are Australian made and "BHP" is for Broken Hill Pty Ltd.

Sorry, don't know AK conjoined within circle either. Funny the difference in order of nomenclature regarding where the manufacturer is represented.