What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British trip flare

Gordo

I am seeking data and illustrations/pics of the ground trip flare used by the UK in WWII.

Thanks much,

Gordo

hello
some photos about my trip flare
regards
daniel from france

pict2889.jpg

pict2890.jpg

pict2891.jpg

I've got one of the tins the flare was delivered in. I'll try to post a photo tomorrow.

John

Hi Daniel,
Cracking trip flare, Not seen one as nice as yours before. Can you scan the instruction leaflet please, thats the only bit i am missing from mine. Do you know when the plastic spool replaced the wooden one?
Regards
Hangarman

a last photo from my trip flare complete with cover and intruction metal plate
regards
daniel from france

pict5513.jpg

my trip flare

Here's some pic's of what I believe is an Israli trip flare and just goes to show that if something works well theres no need to change the design 1940's design used well into the 70's

Attachments

• izzy trip flare 1.jpg
    izzy trip flare 1.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 20
  • izzy trip flare 2.jpg
    izzy trip flare 2.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 25
  • izzy trip flare 3.jpg
    izzy trip flare 3.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 29
still no major change with the Brit design in the late 1970's early 80's.

Attachments

• DSCF0111.JPG
    DSCF0111.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCF0113.JPG
    DSCF0113.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 42
Hi,

Yes it was made by Haley & Weller at Draycott in Derbyshire in February 1999. Lot number 179.
H&W were purchased by PW Defence and that too was purchased by Chemring Defence who still market trip flares.

Check their curent catalogue here - www.chemringdefence.com/Download.aspx?ResourceId=12914

Last edited:
That's interesting. I've got one of the boxes shown in post 9 and its marked TP.SV2681 dated 1967 on the base. CNR 371 Mk1 SV 436A on the lid.

John

I think that there was a tinplate outer container for individual flares at some point. I have 2 flares from the same lot in my pictures, both packaged identically in cardboard outers with the 3 part plastic inners.