What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British WW1 shell or 1.5 Pr ??

Looks very much like one of my 11/2 pdrs, except mine is only 127mm long.Any marking?Mine has 11/2, FS(forged steel) and other faint marks.

Yes, they were commercial prior to ww1 in a slightly different form, then officially adopted to replace the shorter less powerful 1Pr. likely in 1915, then the case was made straight from 37mm to 40mm and the
2Pr. was created which replaced it. Naturally all these sizes existed through the war some where or other at once.

Yes. They were a transition from the 1 pdr to 11/2 pdr and then to the 2 pdr in Maxim automatic guns made by Vickers of England. There are 11/2 pdr (37mm) COW guns, which used longer,rimless cases, that were used in a different gun, that were used in WW1 and in WW2 emergency use at air fields.. Both the 11/2 pdr and the COW items are fairly rare. The 11/2 pdr Vickers was also used by Austria on a few ships.The shell you have is less common than the usual one, which looks like the 1 pdr scaled up.

Please excuse what must seem a silly question - I'm new to this. There doesn't seem much room for explosive in the shell. Does this mean it was intended as a solid shot?

Please excuse what must seem a silly question - I'm new to this. There doesn't seem much room for explosive in the shell. Does this mean it was intended as a solid shot?

The 1.5 Pdr contained an explosive charge of .16 pounds (.07 kg) which was more than enough to fragment the projectile.