What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brothers in arms

AMMOTECHXT

Ordnance approved
Premium Member
This is the title of a book by James Holland. It tells of the Sherwood Rangers Yeomanry, a territorial unit that began WW2 as horse-mounted cavalry, transitioned to an artillery unit and finally became tank soldiers. It covers the period from D Day to the end of the war. I found it gripping and did not want to put it down. It is well researched, well written, and is a fitting memorial to those who fought and died.

I read this recently and thought it was an outstanding book. I knew little about the tank war in Europe and the book is a real eye opener. Not just for the high attrition rate of the SRY but also the information about the tanks and how they were used with the Fireflys. The Sherman was clearly a better tank than many thought as well. Reliable, good range and a high rate of fire. Not just a 'Tommy cooker'.

Buy this book!

As a follow up to 'Brother in Arms' you may like to read 'The Tank War' by Mark Urban. This follows the 5th Royal Tank Regiment from France in 1940, through North Africa, the D Day through to VE day.

I'd say James Holland's book is more readable but Urban's covers slightly more ground with a far greater range of tanks being discussed.