What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brownstone Battery

Weasel

Premium Member
Had a great walk and a good look around this coastal defence site near Dartmouth on the weekend with Tigbrand. Well worth a visit if you are in the area you can drive to within a mile of it or walk the 2-3 miles from Dartmouth along the coast foot path as we did.
The site is owned by the national trust with free admission, there are alot of millitary buildings dotted around the top of the site but if you venture lower down the hill you come across two very well preseved 6" emplacements each with a magazine to supply it one on the level and the other with a rather steep incline. Two search light positions are at the lowest edge of the site, vey well preserved site with almost no vandalism. Note in the pictures the rather impressive breech section of one of the guns just left lying in the wood, other large sections of carrige are also laying about.
Best regards Weasel.

Attachments

• Brownstone Battery 002.jpg
    Brownstone Battery 002.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 38
  • Brownstone Battery 004.jpg
    Brownstone Battery 004.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 37
  • Brownstone Battery 028.jpg
    Brownstone Battery 028.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 38
  • Brownstone Battery 029.jpg
    Brownstone Battery 029.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 38
  • Brownstone Battery 013.jpg
    Brownstone Battery 013.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
A few more pics...

Attachments

• Brownstone Battery 004.jpg
    Brownstone Battery 004.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 20
  • Brownstone Battery 027.jpg
    Brownstone Battery 027.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Brownstone Battery 035.jpg
    Brownstone Battery 035.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 23
  • Brownstone Battery 030.jpg
    Brownstone Battery 030.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 23
Great Pictures.

Hi Weasel and Tigbrand, you had a nice day out there then, great pictures and what a place !
Is the steep inlcine in the second set of pictures fitted with a small rail track for a trolley ?

Thanks for sharing them with us.

Hi Chris,
Yes the steep incline does have rails for a trolley to sit on. And there is the remains of a base plate at the top for a winch,
Best Weasel.

Attachments

• Brownstone Battery 026.jpg
    Brownstone Battery 026.jpg
    100.4 KB · Views: 18
Thank you.

Thanks for the info Weasel-looks like you had a really nice day too !

Excellent pics keep em coming !

6 Inch naval gun.

A few more pics of the 6 inch naval gun. Ive visited a lot of coastal defence sites,but other than the channel isles,the guns are always gone,(excluding breakwaters and islands,ie steep Holme,portland where it was uneconomic to move them, and they were thrown over into the sea!). This shows how remote this site is, Andy walked past this section of gun and i took the mick for him not noticing! The second pic shows the large section i never saw later on. We cleaned around the breech section to try and get more info. The Breech is sitting in an old stairway into a shelter or magazine. These guns were ex ww1 ship guns that were commonly fitted to ww2 defence sites after being pulled from storage. I intend to return to this site in winter to search for more bits,you never know what you might find,(i hope!)Tig:xd:

Hi Tig,
Thanks for sticking some more pictures up, i am always up for another visit just let me know. There must be more bits hidden out there that both of us walked past :tinysmile_fatgrin_t
Best regards Weasel.