What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Brunswick Rifleman's Assault Weapon (RAW)

Eodtek

Premium/Ordnance Approved
Ordnance approved
Someone said they were interested in seeing this item so here you go. Also, there is some good info and a really good photo of the carrying case for the projo/launcher here http://www.everydaynodaysoff.com/2010/02/25/brunswick-riflemans-assault-weapon-raw/ There is one article in Jane's Infantry Weapons 1996.

Here is another tidbit:

MULTI-PURPOSE INDIVIDUAL MUNITION
This is a light anti-armor/multipurpose weapon. This program was being competitively developed in a proof-of-principle program by Brunswick, McDonnell Doug­las, and The Marquardt Company. The competitive proof-of-principle contracts were awarded to the above-listed firms on May 19, 1988. The proof-of-principle evaluations were completed in mid‑1990 and a downs­election was expected by March of 1991. This weapon was expected to become operational in 1996. However, in late 1990, the entire program went back to square one and the Multi-Purpose Individual Munition is not expected to be operational until the turn of the century. Brunswick's entrant in this competition was known as the Rifleman's Assault Weapon (RAW).

Also, while looking on the net to see if anyone has any additional info or documentation I found a site using my photos and x-ray so evidently I'm somewhat popular.

Attachments

• Raw launcher.jpg
    Raw launcher.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 61
  • RAW.jpg
    RAW.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 64
  • RAW.jpg
    RAW.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 58
  • RAW Brochure2.jpg
    RAW Brochure2.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 71
  • RAW Brochure.jpg
    RAW Brochure.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 72
there is a small write up on the RAW on pages 120-121 "Ammunition Small Arms,Grenades and Projected Munitions" by Ian V Hogg

extract from the book..note this is heavily edited due to copywrite
"a number of alternative warheads have been developed for RAW,The standard warhead is a squash head HESH..blah blah blah..The RAT (RAW Anti Tank) warhead is a shaped charge with an optical proximity fuze..blah blah blah.."The Flying Claymore" warhead carries thousands of tungsten pellets...blah blah blah ..other warheads which have been tested and proved include Incendiary and smoke types..

The spherical ball as shown in the brochure was the first design. The teardrop shaped warhead is the more recent design. The Brunswick factory was in Southern California in the Santa Ana/Irvine area. They used to test their products at the Marine Base at Camp Pendleton. Occaisionally fired warheads would show up at gunshows in the LA basin.

The RAW was designed to give any soldier the ability to fire a large warhead. You simply attach the launcher on the front of an M-16. Point at the target and fire a normal round of ammunition. The hot gasses from the barrel would ignite the rocket motor of the RAW. The curved rocket nozzels of the launcher would spin the warhead up and when it was rotating fast enough, it would break loose and take off horizontally towards the target. The rocket nozzel spinning equipment would stay on the launcher.

Last edited:
That would of been me E/T. Since then I have read everything I could get my hands on about this weapon. I still like it today and have often wondered why the Army didn't adopt it since I would think it would of made a better AT round too. Thanks for the info you have provided and I do have that year of Jane's

The USMC was looking at it at one time and this is the story I was told:

A demonstration was being conducted with a large contingent of senior military personnl in attendance. The RAW was set up on the firing line and the observers were in the stands behind it. The first shot veered off course missing the target with some disappointment in the crowd. A second shot was set up and attempted. The projectile left the launcher and some how ended up going so far off course it almost ended up behind the observers. There were chuckles and outright laughter in the stands. The representatives were so irritated/upset that they left the range immediately abandoning everything on site.
Not sure how true it is but it sure is funny to imagine.

That is probably why and when they went from 2 nozzels to 4 nozzels on the spinner.

I believe so. The unit that might have found it useful had M16s.