What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Butterfly Bomb Sign Number Three.

skull181

Here is my new Butterfly Bomb sign.

This version I personally saw in a aircraft Museum in Devon many years ago on holiday.

Out and about one day, we went on our merry little way and found this small museum which had a Spitfire and ME 109 on display.

They weren't in good condition. Any way, also on display were various bits and pieces of WW2 militaria, including this sign.

I always remembered the wording on it, (it just stayed in my mind), I knew then that I had to have one.

Now I've got three. :proud:

Notice the different wording, (maybe it was just a one off?). It did exist!

I always wanted one that looked as though it had been left out in the open and forgotten about, and I think this look captures that.

I'm delighted with it. :dancing2:

Attachments

• newsign2 001 (640x480).jpg
    newsign2 001 (640x480).jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 51
  • new sign 002 (800x600).jpg
    new sign 002 (800x600).jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 43
  • new sign 003 (800x600).jpg
    new sign 003 (800x600).jpg
    84 KB · Views: 43
  • new sign 004 (800x600).jpg
    new sign 004 (800x600).jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 44
  • Danger Sign 001 (800x600) (640x480).jpg
    Danger Sign 001 (800x600) (640x480).jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 49
  • New sign 001 (640x480).jpg
    New sign 001 (640x480).jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 42
Pete, they're very convincing, how does he do the lettering, are they painted on or is it some sort of baked on enamel process?
The new one certainly has the "left out in the open and forgotten about" look.
Thanks for showing them.
Dave.

The ones in the picture Pete are thy originals ????????? Dave

These are all reproductions Dave, look to be very well done. Very convincing.

I have never seen the Trees and Fields version............... would love to see an original!!!

A good friend of mine 'thinks' he may have a sign buried in his long term collection with 'overhead cables' or suchlike on it, but much of his collection is packed away and not seen the light of day for years, so his memory may be a 'little rusty'.
Of course there could be lots of others, 'roofs and gutters' , 'fences and gardens' .......and so on and so on.........the SD2's landed in nearly every place imaginable!! I wouldnt dispute the existance of any variation, collecting is full of suprises ----- time will tell.

regards Kev

As I didn't want to wait or pay through the nose for a original sign (if one ever became available), I decided to get some done myself.

After all, they are just metal pieces with letters on them.

I haven't a clue how they are done, but, I'm delighted with all three.

Do you remember where in Devon the museum was?

Intact Spitfires and Me 109s are not common.