What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

c.150x850 case - Dutch?

Tony Williams

I've been asked to identify a large-bore case, one which is way outside my collecting range. The approximate measurements provided are 147mm calibre, 853mm length and a rim diameter of 178mm.

Markings are given as follows:

A series of numbers written on the side, one underneath the other as follows :
NO.2
9/7 41/87.25
12/1 20/87.25
26-87-53

Headstamp:
64 over 87

The only one with dimensions which seem to come close in my lists is the Dutch 15cm L/40 which was used in naval, coast defence and field guns (case length 853mm, rim diameter 176mm).

Can anyone positively ID this case and provide any information about it?

No info on the maker of the case, like A.I., SMI or Hembrug? These you see a lot for Dutch marine ammo. The "No.2" sounds Dutch but the rest does not ring a bell. Could you get a picture of the headstamp and the primer?

No.1/2/3 are coast defense (1910-1940), No.4 field gun and No.5 naval gun according to "Big Bore Ammunition". You have a No.2 so it is pre-WW2 which means there is a change those shell cases are made outside of The Netherlands. Most large naval ammo is made in Germany. If it is made in The Netherlands there would be a "Hembrug" logo somewhere.

Maybe you should ask this question on the Dutch ECRA site (or I can do it for you).