What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

C18

C18 105mm Smoke

I have searched all of my Canadian pubs and I cannot find any reference to a cartridge or projectile with the model number C18. I cannot even find any smoke cartridges or projectile that have "C" in the model number. All have either "L" or "M".

Can you provide any info on it. Was it bursting smoke, base ejection smoke, HC or coloured? Do you have a time period when it was in service as this will narrow my seach down a bit.

Cheers,

sorry I talked to the Canadians and they let me take a picture of it, The round is stamped C18 but the stenciled is C102 it's a HC ejection a copy of the old US M84 Series

I was looking to fast earlier and missed the C102 completely, but now I have it. The publication I have does not have any notes on the stamped markings or any diagrams of them. There is a cut away diagram of the complete cartridge and one photo from the manufacturers website, which is not much different than the photos you have.

Wish I had more.

Cheers,

Attachments

• Cartridges 105 mm Howitzer SMK HCBE C102.JPG
    Cartridges 105 mm Howitzer SMK HCBE C102.JPG
    18.3 KB · Views: 24
do you know anything about the C60. I pretty sure it's practice. but I have run into Canadian HE round that were Blue

Attachments

• Picture 023.jpg
    Picture 023.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 24
C60

I don't have much info and no photos right now. I think I have some, but not sure which disk they are on. Will send them if I can find them.

The Cartridge 105mm Squash Head Practice C60 has a projectile made from a seamless steel tube with a single driving band pressed into a groove machined in the projectile body.

The projectile base is made of aluminum with four tracer cavities and two blind holes for use with an assembly tool.

The nose of the projectile is made of aluminum and is fitted with a nose plug made of aluminum.

The fours C2 tracers are press fitted into the base plug.

The projectile weighs 10.18kg (22 lb 7 oz) and is 417 mm (16.4 inches) long

You should not have run into any Canadian HE rounds that were blue. Canada has used two different colours of blue;
Light blue - practice - may contain energetic material and will have the appropriate colour hazard band (yellow/brown)
Dark blue - obsolete colour code for dummy, bronze is now used for dummy ammunition.

Do you have any specifics on Canadian HE ammo using blue colour coding?

Cheers,