What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

caltrops

kiwieod

heres my selection of caltrops,mostly ww2
anybody got any different ones

Attachments

• P1040552.jpg
    P1040552.jpg
    315.9 KB · Views: 81
I have this one, but I am a little skeptic about these caltrops. There are numerous copies and right out fakes out there, and it is impossible to tell the difference.
20221009_161046.jpg

Never seen any like those before. All the WW1 calthrops I've seen have been of much simpler construction. Are some of those pictured Japanese?

Attached photos shows a small German caltrop dug up on the Somme. There is a small hole in the middle and about 30 of these were threaded onto a piece of stiff wire and they were tipped over the side of an aircraft at night, mainly on road junctions.

RSCN1252.JPG

anders,i have seen that one you have in books/online but havent seen any for sale yet,your quite right about the fakes/copies,very hard to tell,unless you find them yourself with a metal detector in a known battle field area
millsman,they are british and american,where did you read about them being tipped out of planes in lots of 30,this seems like a very difficult,uncomfortable thing to do,even in a 2 seater

anders,i have seen that one you have in books/online but havent seen any for sale yet,your quite right about the fakes/copies,very hard to tell,unless you find them yourself with a metal detector in a known battle field area
millsman,they are british and american,where did you read about them being tipped out of planes in lots of 30,this seems like a very difficult,uncomfortable thing to do,even in a 2 seater

I think flying in any WW1 two seater was difficult and uncomfortable. Don't forget that many WW1 observer/gunners were used to dropping bombs over the side of the cockpit. Unloading a string of caltrops would be a breeze by comparison. A gentleman in France explained it to me when I asked about the hole in the caltrop.

For interest the two pages attached are from War Office "Notes on Field Defences" 1914.

One possibility for having holes in caltrops (completely unsubstantiated by any evidence or folklore) - tying a batch together would enable friendly forces to put them down and quickly remove them if and when the threat passed. However, chucking strings of caltrops over an enemy position would simply allow the enemy to remove them quickly, unlike them being scattered unconnected.

Attachments

• Caltrops.jpg
    Caltrops.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:
The caltrops with the holes were just stored on the stiff wire. The wire was just tipped up and the caltrops slid off the wire, being scattered.

American gun shows about 20 years ago were filled with bags and bags of newly made caltrops. Not any more. Any idea what has happened?

From german sabotage crate

Attachments

• IMGP5915b.jpg
    IMGP5915b.jpg
    297.8 KB · Views: 28
  • DSCN1228.jpg
    DSCN1228.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 33
I think I have one pair left somewere.
The others are in the EOD school.
There were several of these crates over the time, some call them werwolf crates all with similar items inside.

Bob

I have seen 2 of these packs and most of the items in them was from captured resistance drops, time pencils, PE2 sticks various booby trap switches British and German, tyre bursters German and British wished i took pictures now, Ben Junier has them at Overloon museum, i think.

thats good to know,i suppose they were going to be like the british auxillary units,and cause sporadic resistance,harasment