What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

can any one ID this bomb for me

ANDY19422

Premium Member
Hi, I got this from a UK fair years ago, all the dealer knew was it came from a museum. It weighs 17.4 LBS and is 23" long and about 4.5" I cant see any markings and there are threads for a fuze in the back but the casing is filled with something. Any ideas what it is and is it worth anything?

sam0819x.jpg

By andy19422 at 2012-07-31

cant see a suspention lug and the pop rivets in the tail section look iffy.
maybe a home build.
looks good anyway

Dimensions and shape fit the 25lb MkI-IV british practice bombs but the color is "strange" as are these fin rivets (The fact that the current weight is less than 25lbs does not hamper this identification possibility). Where was it found?

I picked it up at a Farnham arms fair about 15 years ago, I think the seller did mention the fins were replacements built by the museum. There is no suspension lug fitted or any sign that one was. I can see no marks on the body. I looked at the British MKI-IV but these have a nose fuze. Would it be helpful if I remove the tail? I looked on Ordate but couldn't find a match. Still a mystery