What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can anyone confirm the ID of this cord??

butterfly

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
Hi I bought this from Ebay, didn't cost much and I'm not 100% sure if it is what I think it is.......can anyone help???

It was listed as a parachute line from a pilots parachute, however I suspect it is something else?

I think this is a cord from a German Parachute Mine (LMA or LMB) albeit a small piece LOL !!. I may of course be wrong, but is there anyone that could confirm this for me??

regards Kev

1.jpg2.jpg

I may be totaly wrong, but it looks like nylon cord to me.
Regards, DJH

Could be a piece of the 'final tie' as it was called from a parachute, i e the last bit of nylon chord attached to the top rigging lines that went through the entire parachute down to where they were attached to the harness. All part of the efficient release system of the parachute from its bag with the rigging lines deploying first folowed by the canopy. The top was the hole through which air escaped to help the 'chute work more efficiently. Just a thought.
We were told not to nick these as they were expensive to make so we all did. Got quite a few. Still on all my car keyrings.

Andy

Last edited:
It kinda looks like the line used by crew(s) bailing out from Attack & Fighter airplanes. What would usually happen is after ejection and depending on what system they are using, the seat kit would drop from a painter line for lack of a better word. It was either metal of thick nylon cord.

Yours looks like it might be way to short though or just a piece of one.

V40
Mark

I may be totaly wrong, but it looks like nylon cord to me.
Regards, DJH

.....I think it is also, but I believe the mines used nylon cord, see below......a quick google search found this reference....

"A pair of mines was dropped in fields belonging to Warren Farm. One fell at the far end of the large corn field opposite the A27/Rownhams Lane junction, and the other in a field to the right, behind the woods. These later yielded the remains of two parachutes to our gang. We used the plaited nylon cords for swinging ropes - Tarzan films being all the rage. The green canopies, which were made of very heavy man-made material sewn together, were used for dens - they were certainly quite unsuitable for ladies' underwear, as suggested in some articles I have read. Had they been used, the wearers must have been desperate and the elastic very strong!"

I'm 95% certain that it is what I think it is, but would like confirmation if possible to be totally sure. Having contacted the seller it has reasonable providence with it to say its definately a wartime pick up, but until someone can say for definate I cannot be 100%.

regards Kev

If you asked me i would say German Parachute mine cord. I also have a small piece somewhere!
Hangarman

Hangarman, your a star!! If you manage to find your piece could you confirm for definate.

There is a photo on page 13 of Chris Ransted's book 'Bomb Disposal and the British Casualties of WW2' but the image is too small for me to make a positive ID on the bit I have. It looks the same but want to remove any element of doubt!!

Many thanks to everyone for replying, I'm now 98.5% sure thanks to Hangermans input - a photo of another piece would clinch it!!! LOL!!

regards Kev