What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can anyone help with the ID of this brass casing please?

penguin

Hello all,

This is my first post, please be gentle! I know next to nothing about artillery shells, casings etc., but we, as a family, would be very grateful if anyone can help identifying this brass case that's been in the family for a long time. We would be interested in any help finding out who made it and whether it's British, German or whatever and any other information at all.

My great grandfather's brother was given this adorned brass shell casing by a German POW while in the field hospital after he was injured in WW1.

I've uploaded some pictures, one of the full casing and the others of the base plate, with close-ups of some markings. Also on the base plate are the letters "Juni" and "1918". I hope the pictures are clear enough. I can provide more if required.

It measures just under 9"/22.4cm long, the base plate is 3.5"/9.0cm wide and the diameter of the case itself is about 3.25"/8.0cm

Many, many thanks for any information and your help!

Regards,

Chris.

Attachments

• IMG_1910_3.jpg
    IMG_1910_3.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1912_2.jpg
    IMG_1912_2.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_1914_2.jpg
    IMG_1914_2.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_1917_2.jpg
    IMG_1917_2.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 51
Hi Chris,

This is a German cartridge case for the 7,7cm Feldkanone.

St: (=Stark) The case was made stronger to fire Einheitsmunition (cartridge case and the grenade were delivered already fixed together) with the FK 96 n/A (n/A = neuer Art)
58: lot number
JUNI: month of manufacturing
1918: year of manufacturing
FN: Friedrich Niemeyer, the manufacturer
HL27: Inspection mark.

Mathias

Forgot to say, that after a few hours of googling tonight with the help of your info, I found that the "HL" in "HL27" inspection mark means Haniel Luege Dsseldorf Messingfabrik, the brass factory.

Cheers,

C.