What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can anyone ID this for me please????

3pinplug

Hi all

Out with the metal detectior today and found a projectile, its 15mm in length and 9mm in width. Anyone know what this is??

Many thanks

Mark

Attachments

• proj1.jpg
    proj1.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 79
Allowing for the fact you may not be using a vernier I would hazard a guess at a 9 x 19mm luger/para bullet! Or poss .380?
Mark, part of the challenge of ordenance/detecting is doing a bit of research yourself. Please don`t get me wrong or feel put off but the internet is a powerfull tool (as is this site - within its own/our confines).
Part of the mystery of detecting is then doing the "detective" bit after.
Doing a bit of Miss marple will make your finds more interesting/challenging. Where did you find it? Is it a known military area, does it have history (battles, training etc), is there any local folklore, etc?
As to the item, things such as condition (rust, verdigris), dimensions, any markings, rifling marke, more pics, types of metals all go towards id`ing the item.
Keep up the detecting & good luck (remeber you`ll learn more from learning it for yourself - & us old soaks are NOT always right!!).

Dedfinitely a 9mm Parabellum bullet, it is the wrong profile for a .380.

I totally agree with you hicky (with no offence meant to Edwardc), too many people expect to have answers provided without doing even the most basic research.

Regards
TonyE

Dedfinitely a 9mm Parabellum bullet, it is the wrong profile for a .380.

I totally agree with you hicky (with no offence meant to Edwardc), too many people expect to have answers provided without doing even the most basic research.

Regards
TonyE

Sorry my sarcastic tone didnt come across well in written text! I meant what else could it be, its projectile and 9mm. he kind of answered the question in the original post lol..... :D

I think I agree with Tony that the profile is wrong for a .380 and also looks to be wrong for a 9mm, being too blunt. My guess (having loaded multitudes of them) would be for the .38 ACP/.38 Super 130 gr Ball or the wartime loading of the .38 Special using the .38 Super ball to adhere to the Geneva Convention. Length is about right for that also. Cheers, Bruce.

Hi All
Firstly, as a fairly new member of the forum can I say that I find it very off putting that when I post I receive such sarcastic comments. The thread has so far put it as a 9mm luger / para bullet, a .380, .38 ACP/.38 Super 130 gr Ball or the wartime loading of the .38 Special using the .38 Super ball to adhere to the Geneva Convention so as of yet it has not yet been firmly identified it, so wasn't such a silly idea posting it after all was it.
When your car has a fault that needs identifying you take it to a mechanic and ask what the problem is, you wouldn't be too happy if when you got there he said "too many people expect to have answers provided without doing even the most basic research".
I was hoping to learn from the forum over time from my posts , part of my research led me to this forum which I joined in the hope of expanding my knowledge and until today I had been doing just that with some helpful info . (Bacarnal , thankyou for a very polite and helpful response, much appreciated and useful info - as normal for forum)

Hi 3 pinplug,
I would plump for the 9x19mm bullet,any chance of a close up(macro) photo of it showing the grooves left by the rifling of the weapon that fired it?That may well 'clinch it' as to if 9mm or 38",the profile does not look quite right to me for a 9mm but they often de-form slightly on impact.
On a personal note I am happy to see posts such as yours on here as I feel that they are often of intrest to others also.

All the best
Tony

Mark, For once (though I do tend to the sardonic), I was trying to convey straight information and my experiences of re-loading ammunition, especially in those calibers. Don't be too put off with us, even though some of us tend to have an odd sense of humor. Cheers, Bruce.

Last edited:
3pinplug -First, welcome to the forum. I was not directing my comments to you personally (I did say "no offence") but I was agreeing with the point Hickey made, and still do so. Us "old hands" are only too happy to help newcomers like yourself and we post a lot of useful information in response to requests for identification etc. However, as Hicky says, there is a lot some people could do to help themselves, and that is a large part of the fun of this game. Anyway, welcome and I hope the following is of some help!

Barcarnal - The British 9mm bullet had a much blunter ogive than the normal "continental" (and U.S.) profile bullet, and you may be less familiar with the British shaped bullet over in the U.S. I am happy that it is a British 9mm, probably a Mark Iz, as apart from the profile, the length is spot on for a British 9mm P. The other confirmation would be the weight, but I would not expect a new member to have a set of scales. I have attached a picture showing a British Mark Iz compared to a continental shaped bullet.

Incidentally i was in Kentucky last week, having driven there to Louiseville to try to get home after the airport at St.Louis was trashed by the tornado!

Regards
TonyE

Attachments

• Continental profile.jpg
    Continental profile.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 10
A warm welcome from me too 3pin & an apology if you took my comments as rude.
As SMLE2009 said others here find threads interesting as well as we do not know it all & certainly learn a lot from other people here. Please do not let my comments (or others) put you off the site, but do use the pointers to help you in your detecting & research into your finds - that way it will be you that can be in a position to point us in the right direction or answer a query.
As you can see from the membership, just on a "by country" scale it is fairly diverse, add to that the wide range of personal experience, training, knowledge & interest the members have & then take the huge diversity of ordenance & related items & you will see it is a very long & frayed piece of string!!
Again good luck with the detecting & hope we see you here often.