What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can u read this date?

Drew,

I have a few 18 Pndr shrapnel projectiles and have just had a look at them. I only have 1914, '17 and '18 dated ones - nothing as early as 1907. However I believe your projectile is 1917 based on the following:

Reason 1: I reckon on yours below the "18 PR" is "XII" signifying a later Mk 12 projectile. My 1914 shell has "V" stamped - Mk 5. My 1917 and both 1918 shells have all got XII - Mk 12 stamped. The XII stamped on yours indicates that the 7/?7 relates to 1917.

Reason 2: The distinctive and stylised font of the 7s in the date and on the base, together with the 9s on the base do not match the "9" in the date. Have a look at the different styles where the circular part joins the tail. ie I do not believe the 7/?7 date stamp is 7/97. I reckon the ? numeral is indeed a double stamped 0 - zero. But not to indicate 7/07. I agree that the double stamped zero was meant to signify a stylised 1 by either a lazy stamper or the 1 stamp was missing as you suggest.

Incidentally was this purchased at the large clearing sale outside Shepparton on the weekend? There was a fair bit of interest in the militaria and ordnance, but unfortunately I couldn't attend. My girlfriend's son went (he is into old tractors) but knows nothing about militaria/ordnance. He did say however the autioneers were clueless and started all lots at minimum $50. I noticed a good variety or ordnance ranging from fuses, grenades, shells, bombs etc. I also know a number of dealers attended (eg. IS Wright's from here at Ballarat for one.) Where there any bargains to be had or was it over-priced?

Regards,

Graeme (Ballarat.)

Hi Graeme,
I was hoping that someone would have & post some WW1 period 18pdr projectiles MK data to compare with! (since I have departed with mine ones..)
Yes I agreed with your reasoning as it seems quite conclusive that it is around the 1917/18 period being a Mk 12. Thank you for posting the "MK" data!

No, the 18pdr projectile came from a local Sydney auction house, along with the German WW1 Egg grenade. I wasn't aware there was even an auction being held at Shepparton last w/end. Being a good 7 hrs drive from Sydney, I perhaps would have submitted an absentee bid, but without photos and poorly described lots, I S Wright would have had a field day! I guess we will have to wait to their next catalog!
Cheers
Drew

Looks to me like the '9' is barred out with the '/' and replaced with a '7'.

D

Hi D

Yes I can see where you are coming from!

It's quite ironic that the intention of these stamps was to correctly mark and ID the projectile - seems more of solving a cryptic puzzle than providing simple identification!!!
Cheers
Drew

Hi Staples,

Yes it does look like "7/97" to everyone -including moi!

In the past I had a couple of 18pdr projectiles, with similar date stamping just above the driving band, hence I'm confident that it is a date stamp. (see below for a "7/1928" shrapnel projectile and fuse, incorrectly painted as a HE, but the "stenciling is over the stamping") and the sectionized 1940 HE 18 pdr & fuse (although this date format is "8-40", but positioned just above the driving band)

I'm forming the opinion that it has been incorrectly stamped:

1) Researching further, it appears that the British did not tender for the 18pdr design until at least 1902/1903 with the early version produced in 1904;
2) With a diameter of 83.36mm, it is definitely an 18 pdr, as the 15pdr, 13 pdr all had diameters of around the 76mm mark;
3) Perhaps at the time a "0" stamp was not available and the "9" was used in stead? As back then it would have been easily dated - for the same reasoning perhaps it was meant to be "7/17" i.e. either side of "9"??? (OK I know this is getting somewhat "far fetched!")
4) There was a "joker" in the factory!!! What's a date stamp back then when the Projectile was going to blow up anyway! (just to annoy me 100 years later!!!)

My head hurts!
Cheers
drew

BTW - THe 1940 18pdr HE was made by guess who? Has "BHP" stamped on the body, which I only just noticed with this "research exercise"!!!

Just picked up on this thread again, that's a lovely 17pr APDS you have there.
Dave.

Another reason that I love collecting ordnance. It is the Charlie Chan detective type work sometimes required to properly identify a piece of ordnance. Of course having the number one ordnance reference (BOCN) (free advertisement) at your fingertips don't hurt a damn thing. There are some really sharp, learned minds in here (unfortunately not mine as I work in broad strokes) and we all know how much a reference library could set you back (a library that'll never reach maturity). A heartfelt tip of my cap to the countless members whom have helped me in my quest for knowledge. Life is good....With great respect for each and every one of you (with exception of one)............Dano

Just picked up on this thread again, that's a lovely 17pr APDS you have there.
Dave.

Hi Dave,

Thank you!

Yes, It was on the"hit list" to go (all the others in the photo have gone!)

Unfortunately no core - one particular Melbourne Gentleman decided he could perhaps make a "mint" on scrap value!! (he had a 44 gallon drum full of them!!!)

.................But kept this one!!!
Cheers
Drew

Attachments

• DSCN3238.JPG
    DSCN3238.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCN3239.JPG
    DSCN3239.JPG
    93.4 KB · Views: 9