What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Canadian 1" Nordenfelt

Spaceinvader

Hello all,
I purchased this 1" Nordenfelt round at a local show earlier this year with a lot of a few other rounds. I was just told by a friend it is a Canadian one, as I had not noticed before.

It has the Canadian broad arrow and "DAC" on the base. Along with a "II" and an "N". The case has been emptied and the primer oiled. It is a very complete round, even has the original card washer with the primer.

Unfortunately this round is not really my thing, much older than anything else I have in my collection. Does anyone know much about the Canadian 1" guns? I cannot find anything online about Canada using them other than we have one at our war museum. I was thinking of selling it but it seems like a fairly rare one, and might keep it just cause its a Canadian piece. Thanks!

Attachments

• 1inchNordenfelt9.jpg
    1inchNordenfelt9.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 87
  • 1inch Nordenfelt1.jpg
    1inch Nordenfelt1.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 82
  • 1inchNordenfelt4.jpg
    1inchNordenfelt4.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 77
  • 1inch Nordenfelt5.jpg
    1inch Nordenfelt5.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 68
  • 1inch Nordenfelt6.jpg
    1inch Nordenfelt6.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 73
  • 1inch Nordenfelt7.jpg
    1inch Nordenfelt7.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 67
  • 1inchNordenfelt8.jpg
    1inchNordenfelt8.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 62
Somewhat outside my field of interest too, but I suspect it might be for the 1" Aiming Rifle, a sub-calibre training device which used ammo based on the Nordenfelt's with different projectiles and (in some cases - like this?) electric primers.

Looks very much like a 1" Aiming rifle round,as mentioned by Tony.
The solid lead projectile is a giveaway to ID these over the Nordernfeldt.
These were in common usage in the late 1800s up to post WW2,as far as i know they were largely of Naval use.
Cases were also re-used/re-loaded so often have multiple checking and refilling stamps on the head.

I knew somewhat it might have been an aiming rifle round, but read conflicting info online weather it was for target practice etc. It is also one of the best I've seen, only 2 minor dents in the case and the tip of the projectile is a little flat on side but otherwise very good condition. I have seen many British ones before but never seen a Canadian made one, also can't find anything on Canadians using the 1".

Likely these came with standard British guns our Navy used and just never get a mention as they are
not listed as a ship's armament since they are for practice (though would be in a stores list I expect.). Likely stayed in use as long as required for which ever guns they were used in. This one would be for a larger electrically fired gun I guess.
Likely manuals for use are hidden in archives someplace but nobody looks for them as the
excitement level is perhaps low even though these are interesting and not normally a bank breaker.

Last edited:
It is worth noting that the Nordenfelt "dummy drill" round did have a lead projectile (with a wooden core) but this had a blunter nose; Peter Labbett's book on British Small Arms Ammunition 1864-1938 being my source. I can't say I have ever seen one, though.

Looks indeed like the electric primed 1-inch aiming round.

Attachments

• 1 inch Aiming Rifle, Electric, Cordite, MK1_3.jpg
    1 inch Aiming Rifle, Electric, Cordite, MK1_3.jpg
    278.3 KB · Views: 41
It is worth noting that the Nordenfelt "dummy drill" round did have a lead projectile (with a wooden core) but this had a blunter nose; Peter Labbett's book on British Small Arms Ammunition 1864-1938 being my source. I can't say I have ever seen one, though.

I'm not sure if this is a Nord Drill or a 1" Gatling Drill, but it does have the wood rod inside.
BDG1.jpg

Thanks for the info everyone. If anyone here collects older cartridges and wants this send me a PM. Doesn't fit my collection and is taking up space on my shelf.