What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Canadian made Galt Industries No36

Missileman

Hello all
Looking around there suddenly seems to be a glut of Canadian manufactured Galt Industries no36 Mills Grenades kicking around.

I've actually bought one and am very pleased with it, but just curious if anyone knows why so many have suddenly appeared for sale?

Regards

Hello all
Looking around there suddenly seems to be a glut of Canadian manufactured Galt Industries no36 Mills Grenades kicking around.

I've actually bought one and am very pleased with it, but just curious if anyone knows why so many have suddenly appeared for sale?

Regards

Hi Missileman, welcome to the forum....I had one of these G marked no36's a couple years ago and was also very pleased with it.... but then sold it as I found out it was one of the a huge amount of these G marked Galt Canadian M36's on the market that were de-milled grenades done by drilling 2 sometimes 3 holes in the bodies. Then some "enterprising people" have welded up the holes cleanly, then re-varnished and and repainted red X's and green filling stripe really quite nicely and original looking, and calling them mint original no36's selling for $200-225 usually....

If yours is G marked and in super good minty shape, you should disassemble it, taking the center tube out so you can get a good close look at the inside walls of the body, and with flashlight look carefully for a couple of holes that have been welded over....These grenades are done quite well and cannot tell from the outside, and to most people not completely familiar, they look like a mint cond no36....I sold mine because I only want original un-molested original finish-and painted WW2 grenades....maybe you lucked out and got a non-demilled one, they are out there, but the majority are as I describe...good luck....let us know what you find after very close examination, it will be good for other members to know also......

Hi Steve
Thanks for your reply.
My Galt Grenade has indeed been de-milled, which I noticed when I bought it, but I am still very happy with it and bought it for a reasonable sum.
The holes can only be seen when viewed from the inside as the outside has been finished very well and the grenade has its place amongst my collection although I wouldn't want to make a habit of buying Mills grenades for my collection that have been re-worked or counterfeit so to speak.
What interested me in the main, was that in my continual sweep of all the dealers, all of a sudden I see quite a number have one or two of these Galt grenades like mine for sale. It just seemed a little odd that all of a sudden a handful appear at once on the market....where have they come from? A newly discovered stash hidden since 1940's, a private collection thats been up for auction? Who knows? I've already fallen fowl of buying what I think is a couple of reproduction training Mills grenade's from internet dealers which had been passed off as factory rejects pulled from the production line and designated for training purposes before they had the holes cut and threaded into them, but as they were inexpensive I don't really mind, but I don't want to make a habit of buying non-genuine items, otherwise what's the point of collecting these things at all?

Once again, thanks for the info

hi.what i know is that they was supplied to the dutch army just after the war as practice/drill grenades.they was originaly painted white .i brought one and thought at one time i had come across a repro grenade until corrected by the wonderful chaps on bocn.theres a thread called sussex armoury repro canadian mills no 36 that i started on here.since then mine has had its holes re drilled and repainted white back to how it was.
regards Darrol.

Last edited:
heres an original galt drill grenade. it only has 2 holes where as normally the british ones have 5 holes.
paul.

Attachments

• galt practice mills.jpg
    galt practice mills.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 25
I bought one a whle back and assumed it was de milled and I paid about 50 for it as it looked mint. This discussion came up before so I stripped it down and had a look inside. It wasn't de milled and welded, it was an original. I don't think 50 was too bad a price, though I think I sold it for 50 too. Easy come easy go