What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Canadian War Museum Strike

Gspragge

Premium Member

Workers at the Canadian Museum of Civilization and the Canadian War Museum have walked off the job this morning.

The institutions, in a press release Sunday, said they were “saddened” that the employees did not vote on the most recent offer. The final offer was presented Friday morning after three days of intense bargaining.

“This offer represents a significant commitment to our staff and it was our expectation that it be shared and voted upon by staff,” said Elizabeth Goger, CMCC chief negotiator.

“We also offered to extend the deadline for acceptance beyond the Sunday deadline if PSAC required more time for staff consultations; but they refused.”

The museums plan to remain open during the strike.

The final offer included increased job security provisions and wage proposals that would see salaries rise by between 12% and 17% over four years. PSAC’s latest wage and benefit demands would see salary costs increase upwards of 30% over the same period, according to museum management.

PSAC represents 420 workers at both museums. They are demanding the same terms and conditions as other federal workers doing the same work in Ottawa/Gatineau.

A union spokesman told a Sun Media recently that unionized museum workers have no job security and no recognition of their years of service in a number of critical areas including career advancement. Most of the floor staff at the museums — guides, program animators and hosts — work on temporary contracts. Of the 55 guides at the museums, only six are permanent employees.

Negotiations with the Canadian Museum of Civilization Corporation began in April.

— Sun Staff

I'm in Ottawa on course for a few weeks and so I went to the War Museum last weekend. The strikers were more than happy that I was visiting the museum and only had me wait 10 minutes before entering the museum. I don't like crossing the picket line but this is once in a lifetime opportunity for me. When I explained this to one of the ladies on the picket line she was more than understanding. That being said, I was a bit disappointed. It's a big museum with few artifacts on display... I preferred the old museum better.