What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cartridge .45" Martini - Henry

AE501

HONOURED MEMBER RIP
This came into service in 1871 and the rifle was sighted out to 1200 yards and over time replaced the Snider. It was in turn overtaken by the Lee - Metford in 1888, which had a far superior action, being bolt operated with a 10 round, charger fed magazine.
This action stayed in service, without hugely significant change for the next 70 years through 2 World Wars.

The soft coiled brass foil case is a bit battered from being in a box with other things.

Attachments

• IMG_0543.jpg
    IMG_0543.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0542.jpg
    IMG_0542.jpg
    296.7 KB · Views: 45
What I have never understood about the 1st rounds is why were they called MkIII why not mark 1? Am I just being thick or have I missed something simple if anyone can shed any light on it

thanks
Rich.

Rich,
Here's a close-up of the Mk II. The features to look out for is that there is only one cannelure securing the bullet - the cannelure just beneath the casemouth hasn't been added yet. The other feature is the lack of the 'sight hole' in the case.

Jim

Attachments

• GB 02_zpsx4rit7dj.jpg
    GB 02_zpsx4rit7dj.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited by a moderator:
Rich,
Here's a close-up of the Mk II. The features to look out for is that there is only one cannelure securing the bullet - the cannelure just beneath the casemouth hasn't been added yet. The other feature is the lack of the 'sight hole' in the case.

Jim

Hi Jim, Adopted 1972, as late as that eh ! ;0