What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

"Cartridge"?

Hello!

My friend has got some strange thing, which looks like a cartridge. I've got now only few photos. The one on right.
dscf2033uj.jpg

And some headstamps.
dscf2012te.jpg

dscf2013b.jpg

Length 8 cm, bottom diameter 1,5 cm, diam. after narrowing 1,2 cm, weight 105g

Could You help?

Regards,
Shin

Just a strange thing, I bet not a proyectile. And looks like a Japanese or Chinese symbol in top. Or maybe an anchor and a 14?

I think it could be a brass drift tool which was made to transfer force from a hammer to a steel part of a machine. The brass tool is used so that you do not need to strike the steel part directly with the hammer.

The unusual shape makes m think that it was made for a particular job in an area that was difficult to reach.

I think that it is part of an engineering test piece. These are samples of steel which are stretched to breaking point to determine the tensile sterngth of the steel. The serrations are where it was gripped in a chuck. When it was complete, it would be double ended.