What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cataloging your collection

Birdseye

BOCN Contributor
I have sort of related arms/armor/book collections and I began cataloging the books about 5 years ago. I found that I was buying the same things over and over again.

Anyway, I use Excel and I wondered what other people used.

I also found this cute trick out a couple of days ago ...

Compare the two images.

You get the image when you place your cursor over the cell.

Attachments

• ScreenShot029.jpg
    ScreenShot029.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 41
  • ScreenShot030.jpg
    ScreenShot030.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 43
Hi Birdseye
I use Pen and Pencil to catalouge the collection , then i now use word pad on the computer, it takes ages , i really need a leggy blonde ,busty,young female secretary
it will take longer but it will be worth it Ha ha

I would like to make a database for myself. However, as you have already made a start in excel, any chance of a copy, empty of data (or 1 or two records) so that I can make a start?

PM me if you are willing

munitions mainly,

Bombs
Missile
Mortar
Grenade
Mines
LSA
Subminition
etc etc..

Now thats a neat little trick using Excel, now I will need to spend about six hours trying to figure out how you did that!!

Thanks..........I think.........

Cheers
Darryl

It took me a while. Let me see if I can explain it.

Right click a cell.

Choose "Insert Comment"

A comment appears

The comment should look have little boxes around it. If it does not, click it. It makes the little boxes appear.

Put the cursor (which looks like a little +) ON THE LINES OF THE BOX

Right click

On the format choices, pick the "Colors and lines" tab

First choice is Fill Color. Left click the arrow thingie next to the pale yellow (current background color)

Choose "Fill Effects"

Choose "Picture"

Choose "Select Picture"

Easy as pie:tinysmile_hmm_t:

I have to say Birdseye, your 'trick' with xl is a class act!! The trouble is it would take me the rest of this century to catologue my stuff as speed on the magic box is not something I 'xl' at!

ATB

BD

I have to say Birdseye, your 'trick' with xl is a class act!! The trouble is it would take me the rest of this century to catologue my stuff as speed on the magic box is not something I 'xl' at!

ATB

BD

Thanks.

I gotta say though that while cataloging is a pain, it is a good exercise. I did my books over a period of about 4 years. I just grabbed an armload whenever I sat at the computer and entered them. Fact is that it probably increases the value of my library as well as allowing me to actually find stuff.

Take it slow and steady and it won't be that awful.

I did screen grabs of the captions on my projectile spread sheet. It was sort of a laundry list of everything that came to mind as I started entering things. Seemed to me you could have a projectile and/or a case so you had to allow for all of them. Dealing with my Hotchkiss Shell made me realize that I didn't allow for any columns on fuses, per se.

Attachments

• ScreenShot032.jpg
    ScreenShot032.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 10
  • ScreenShot033.jpg
    ScreenShot033.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 13
  • ScreenShot035.jpg
    ScreenShot035.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 5