What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ccc.....

V40

Guys,

for years I have been trying to figure out what the letters CCC" mean. They are found on some if not all of the smokes from the UK. and on our smoke grenades other than the M18's and the AN-8's. So does anybody know for sure what do these letters stand for?

Thanks ahead of time for any replies made.

Last edited:
On US Smoke & Illumination Signals, The Letter C = Color. The Color of The C's applied to the body of the signal indicates the specific color(s) produced by the signal.

Attachments

• AN-M8 015.jpg
    AN-M8 015.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 23
  • XM'S.jpg
    XM'S.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 21
  • AN-M8 050.jpg
    AN-M8 050.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
I found these two:

CCC
[FONT=&quot]Canyon Cartridge Company, 141 Albertson Ave, Albertson, NY[/FONT]
USA
CCC
[FONT=&quot]Creedmoor Cartridge Co., Barberton, OH[/FONT]
USA

In addition, I remember something like "Canadian C........ Company".

EDIT: did not see the thread was about smokes etc. My sources are for large bore ammo.

Last edited by a moderator:
[...] So does anybody know for sure what do these letters stand for?

Thanks ahead of time for any replies made.

It is a NATO special feature marking known as a 'colour effect symbol'. If the 'Cs' mean anything it is just 'colour' repeated a total of three times. I think it was adopted in the UK after 1969 but others may know of earlier use.

Wow. I had never even noticed the different colours! I just checked out all mu brit smoke grenades and sure enough, they all have Cs that are the same colour as the smoke they produce. Learn something every day