What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

centercast mills restoration

Darrol

Premium Member
thought id share my latest mills .I purchased it from a seller in south Africa(surprised it got to the uk) but for £85 I couldn't resist it.
it was hollow and copper plated when it arrived . I stripped it with ammonium hydroxide over two days .then gave it a nice coat of shellac and baked it to darken the colour for 40mins at gas mark 6 to darken it.the baseplug and filler was replaced and a no5 striker and aluminium centertube was fitted. I think it turned out nice .
cheers Darrol

20160308_230923.jpg20160315_003803.jpg20160315_003849.jpg20160316_004755.jpg20160316_013304.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Great job. Another rescued! I'm puzzled by the middle stage where it looks nickle plated.

John

Thank you John .
The pic is showing that it had been polished before plating ..I took the shine off with gunblue .
I had a feeling it was going to be nickel plated having been plated it copper .
It's alot happier now .

Darrol

It's just that nickle plating grenades is far more common than copper. I was wondering if somehow the Nickle had been exposed to something that turned it a copper colour.

John

Ahhh . It was definitely copper plate . . Absolutely no sign of nickel or chrome . Make me wonder why someone would plate it In copper . Didn't look overly pretty. It had a no23mk2 plug dated 1 /17 on it . .thought this was a bit to late on a centercast with small ring .
Darrol.

Millsbomber is right . Before either chrome or nickel plating , an iron object would normally be copper coated otherwise the bright metal won't evenly attach .

That's what I thought . .but I thought it was more for nickel than chrome .
Will more than likely have been an unfinished project.
Darrol.

No . Applies equally to both .

Strange as It's not always necessary though as I've had a few mills that was plated in nickel and chrome but neither had copper under the plating . I've seen it done on lots of old household stuff but not on a mills before .somebody must have liked the copper colour .

Interesting comments re plating. Dave, Nickle plating is different from Chroming.

Either way Darro,l you have a fine grenade and have done an excellent restoration.

John

Interesting comments re plating. Dave, Nickle plating is different from Chroming.

Either way Darro,l you have a fine grenade and have done an excellent restoration.

John

Thank you John . I'm happy with it .
Cheers .Darrol