What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chaff rocket

navyman

Hello,
I've bought this motor end of a sea gnat chaff rocket, (many thanks Andy), and would like to strip it and re furbish, and perhaps section. I've managed to find the correct tools to remove the top part and a large cross head screw from the motor casing but have no idea how to get at the rocket motor itself. Do any of you rocket enthusiasts know how to go about this?
Any ideas would be gratefully received,
Best regards,
navyman.

Attachments

• s gnat 1a.jpg
    s gnat 1a.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 53
  • s gnat 2a.jpg
    s gnat 2a.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 42
  • s gnat 3a.jpg
    s gnat 3a.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 43
  • s gnat 4a.jpg
    s gnat 4a.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 55
On the 5 inch ZUNI, the fins/nozzel section simply unscrews from inside the motor body. Standard right-hand thread. You might give that a try.

2.75's and others also have the fin section pushed into place, then a retaining band/wire is inserted through a slot in the motor, matching a groove in the circumfrence of the fins and locking them together. Look for a slot near the end of the motor body, then twist the fins till you can see a joint/break in the wire down inside. Pry the wire up and out, twist the fins inside the motor to force it out a little more, pull it straight with pliars, twist a little more, etc till you have the fins off.

Hello Hazord and US-Subs,
Is the joint I've arrowed, the place where the fins and venturies may unscrew?
Many thanks,
navyman.

Attachments

• Chaff marked 1.jpg
    Chaff marked 1.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 25
  • Chaff marked 2.jpg
    Chaff marked 2.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 22
That looks like the logical point for it to unscrew. You can see debris seeping out from the joint. Get a couple of strap wrenches, and if you put a piece of tire innertube next to the metal, it will help the strap to grip the metal. If it doesn't break loose, throw it all in the freezer for 12 hours, take it out and pour hot water around the aluminum colored piece to make it expand and break away from the darker anodized piece, then unscrew.

Many thanks Hazord,
I will have a go at this when I can get hold of a couple of strap wrenches. In the meantime I will keep it well lubed with WD 40, thats how I got the 12 c/sunk bolts out without any damage.
Cheers,
navyman.