What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clockwork mechanism from an M130 fuze.

SG500

Premium Member
I was fortunate to recently pick up a very rough clockwork mechanism for the American M130 fuze that is used in the M83 butterfly bomb.
I thought the before and after photos would be of interest.
All INERT and safe, this is simply the clockwork unit out of the fuze.
Dave.

Before cleaning.
IMG_6343.jpgIMG_6344.jpgIMG_6345.jpgIMG_6346.jpg

After dipping, light wire brushing and oiling.

IMG_6366.jpgIMG_6365.jpgIMG_6364.jpgIMG_6361.jpgIMG_6360.jpgIMG_6359.jpgIMG_6367.jpg

Nice job SG500 what have you dipped it in. Cheers Mick.

Thanks.
I used Hammerite rust remover dip. Halfords sell it.
http://www.hammerite.co.uk/guide/rust_remover_dip.jsp

This dip works really well on iron/steel as is intended but I found by accident that if you put brass or copper into it then it works well too. The main difference being is that you have to soak Iron/steel for 24 hours plus whereas brass or copper are cleaned in about 4 hours.

The important thing to remember is that if you use the dip for brass/copper then DON'T try and dip any iron/steel in it after otherwise the iron/steel gets coated in brass for some reason. I'm sure there's a chemist out there who can explain why......

Dave.

Good job Dave, a great result. I can also recommend that stuff as I've used in a few times with good results.