What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Collecting laws in Austria?

Falcon

I returned today from a trip to Austria over the weekend. The only ordnance I saw for sale was in an antique shop. It was a damaged Russian 45mm Anti-Tank case which I didn't think was worth buying for 12 Euros and possibly causing a terrorist alert bringing it home.

When I logged onto my ebay account using the PC at the hotel and tried to look at some cases it said that ebay had blocked them due to laws in the country. Are artillery cass illegal in Austria?

There was also a cabinet full of WW2 German items in the shop. I was surprised at this, as I thought it was illegal in Austria to even own, much less sell, anything with a swastika on it. However, the swastikas in the shop were covered.

Are there any Austrian members on here who can confirm any of this?

I'm not an Austrian, but it is the same matter over here in Germany.

it is generally not forbidden to buy/sell/possess inert ordnance or other items with a swastika, but you are not allowed to show or carry them in the public.

the stupid and arrogant behavior of feebay has been already discussed at length here on the forum; the barefaced regimentation of people/collectors in some countries is their own style of company's philosophy and not forced by local laws :tinysmile_angry2_t:

Thanks. By "inert ordnance or other items with a swastika" do you mean all ordnance or just German ordnance with swastikas on it?

Sorry for the misunderstanding, i will have to re-phrase it again.

I meant "all ordnance from any era or country, swastika or not"

and

"any militaria item with a swastika on it"

as two separate phrases.

Ey up Falcon,
Ive had plenty of inert ammo from Austria and encountered no probs. :) saying that,its always via private sellers and not from a shop or similar.

best

waff

Sorry for the misunderstanding, i will have to re-phrase it again.

I meant "all ordnance from any era or country, swastika or not"

and

"any militaria item with a swastika on it"

as two separate phrases.

Falcon, that's exactly what I also meant yesterday !
I regret my vague mode of expression :tinysmile_shy_t: