What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

corrosion on brass fuze

Detcord

Hello, I have a Scovill Model 1907M fuze, that is showing a whitish corrosion around the rings of the fuze. I have taken it apart and cleaned it, but it is still showing some discoloration. I am considering a short soak in a white vinegar solution. Has anyone else has this problem, and what is the "approved" solution? Thanks, Kevin

Vinegar or brasso will clean brass pretty well, brasso is slightly abrasive so will remove any tarnishing etc.

Darren

Try Cillit Bang, then wash & dry thoroughly.
Once dry spray with WD40 (or similar).
If it disassembles try to reassemble with a rubbing of vaseleine on all mating parts.
By the way brass/copper should go green with corrosion if it IS white then sounds like alluminium or zinc plated steel so DO NOT not use Cillit.
Stainless steel brush & vaseline/gun oil after.

detcord

If wv means West Virginia, go down to your local Ace Hardware and get a bottle of CLR. Soak the parts in in, full strength. It should take away any corrosion in a hurry and won't harm anything as far as I know. Then clean up the residue with water and bronze wool.

If you are overseas, I don't know what they call CLR over there. BTW, CLR means Calcium, Lime, Rust.

Ray

Raymeketa
I did wonder if WV meant US of A! You wont get Cillit there but CLR sounds very similar - again though what worries me is you say `white` corrosion residue/product.
CLR will work great on brass,copper & solid steel but if there is any zinc or alluminium in there it will eat it!!
For Ally over here we have Altrans which is an aluminium corrosion reversal product - I use it a lot on aircraft parts.

Try Cillit Bang, then wash & dry thoroughly.
Once dry spray with WD40 (or similar).
If it disassembles try to reassemble with a rubbing of vaseleine on all mating parts.
By the way brass/copper should go green with corrosion if it IS white then sounds like alluminium or zinc plated steel so DO NOT not use Cillit.
Stainless steel brush & vaseline/gun oil after.

Hi H,
I always find a bronze wire brush perfect as they do not damage brass,the bronze brush from the current SA 80 cleaning kit being a firm contender:wink:

Tony

Here`s a pic of a British No 80 Fuze cleaned with Cillit & stainless brush. Personally I find CB not overly aggresive (doesn`t dissolve the metal) & saves on a lot of elbow grease!!
DCP02373.JPG

Thanks for the replys, yes WV does mean West by God Virginia. Did not think of CLR, but will try it first. I took the fuze apart, and found some black residue, which I cleaned up. The look and smell was very similar to Black Powder. Thanks for the tip on using vasoline prior to re assembly, I did not think of that.