What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

curious 37mm case

2pounder

Premium Member
37mm what.JPGNot sure if this should be in identification or here but as it is an unfired 37 x 94R case with a brass cap, its here. What is the question is the headstamp. The case is not nor ever was a 2PR anything so why is it stamped so. K for Kynoch as far as I can find out never went up to 7 although there were lower numbers and that was WWII era. 15 could that be the date or a bad L5? If it is a made up stamp on what was a plain case then its very neat in spacing and around primer and the letters have serifs unlike modern letter stamps. Any ideas please, any one seen anything like it before? It came with a VSM cantract to spain common pointed shell complete with fuze, but that might well be mix and match.

I may be completely wrong but the stampings do not look 'official'. It looks like someone has stamped the case for some reason, a home job done a long time ago. The lettering on 2pr cases of the period is different and there are no 37mm cases I know of from any country with stamps of that size. Just my HO.

D

Yes headstamps usually used much smaller letters except the RL 11/2COW gun cases which has large ones always seemed odd to me. The VSM 2pr Auto also has biggish stamps. BD your opinion matches that of some other knowledgable chaps at the ECRA meet last week.