What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Current status on inert grenade import/export laws in the UK

Mike 39

Hi Everyone.
Can anyone tell me what the current situation is regarding international exporting of inert grenades out of the U.K. is at the moment.

The reason I ask is that I've been dealing with a retired collector in the UK for the past year, buying the occasional inert grenade from him without any issues, having declared items as inert ordnance and all items being completely disassembled. All but the previous ( most expensive & rare) package has gone a stray. Checking the Tracking number shows that the item has been received at the International Mail Centre and it's on it's way. Problem is, this was three months ago and it never left Heathrow. So, has it been seized by customs or possibly stolen? If it had been seized by customs, wouldn't one expect to be notified and would customs also not contact the mail service to advise them ? I've contacted the mail service and the only info they can provide me with is what's available online. They have suggested contacting the seller to get him to lodge a missing Mail form. Sadly, he hasn't been to responsive regarding this matter.
Is there any other process available to me to try and locate or determine its fate? Am I able to contact UK Customs?

Here in NZ we have no restrictions on the importation of inert ordnance. If there's any issues or questions regarding the contents, NZ Customs send you a letter outlining their queries and they give you the opportunity to respond direct with them.
Things don't seem to be that easy in the UK though. A bit unreasonable really.

Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.

regards
Mike

Last edited:
Having had a shipment of empty, NOS, in the original box, cal. .50 links absconded with by UK Customs, I determined that would be my last time to chance any dealings via the UK. Good news was, the buyer intervened and saved them from destruction. They had no clue what they were but decided they might harm something and erred on the side of stupidity. Anyway, as much as I hate having to say it, you have about a 99% chance of having your items messed with by the Royal Mail and/or Customs. Sad because there are so many good things for sale and trade there. There are ways around them, but maybe not worth the effort. Fair warning.

Last edited:
Hi mike, Royal mail have changed there policies recently regarding any items of this type. In the UK they are classified as prohibited items Your honesty has probably sealed its fate. I take it that the item was going via airmail? In the UK bits sent 2nd class generally go slowly by road, 1st class is often sent via an aircraft, if going to the other end of the country, which means items are x rayed. I had a visit after an item was sent via East Midlands airport, before these restrictions even came in. It caused a security incident which closed the mail centre. The cost of this in delayed mail must be massive. Not helped by the fact that the terrorist threat although exaggerated, is very real.
Unless the seller tries to reclaim it, which he could as long as the customs declaration matches the contents? There's not much you can do. If he lied it's fraud, so he wont!
Items sent surface mail take months but used to be fine.
Other people may be able to add to the above??
Cheers Tig.

sending anything slighty ordnance related by mail is a huge risk and not worth the trouble(any country)putting it in a shipping container is really the only way these days.

Thanks for your reply's. It is really frustrating considering these items are about as dangerous as empty baked bean cans ( just bloody expensive ones ). I had a read up on the RM website which basically said "explosive or pyrotechnic effect with substantial instantaneous release of heat and gas is prohibited" & "Items that appear to be prohibited explosive ordnance may be subject to additional checks and delays". No definitive ban on inert ordnance.
like I mentioned, if there was a means on contact or they were obliged to notify you of their reasoning, then at least you could put a case forward. Their attitude almost encourages dishonesty.

would appreciate any other input and suggestions.

Cheers
Mike

A 3 month delay to NZ is not unusual,standard surface from UK takes 9 weeks.
If it hasn't been confiscated it might have been redirected as 'must not fly',so with the delay due to inspecting and surface shipment possible delivery imminent.
Also a lot of the tracking for postal parcels is through EMS,and only seems to track up to export port and then from entry port,no live tracking on journey as such.
I have had similar delays,keep checking in,and often delivered in a couple of days once landed in NZ.
Unfortunately a couple of items have just disappeared,but they have been untracked post.One i had given up hope of ever seeing arrived 5 1/2 months later with an apologetic note from a mail centre in Scotland explaining that it had indicated as a suspicious item, so had been inspected and then passed.
Think about the investment you are making,it may be better to pay up for a courier shipment,they can be here within single days.They charge for it,but at least you get the item.

Thanks Kahu1
I love your optimism. I always choose the best option with postage and can only assume that in this case, the seller sent it as directed. I have had one instance in the past a couple of years ago when a grenade took several months to get here. I can only hope that it may happen in this case. fingers crossed.

Cheers
Mike

Im Sorry to hear the problem you have Mike,
If you send a parcel any where with the UK post office there staff have to ask you whats in it, so if its prohibited thy can stop you sending it, if you lie and send it any way and the post office find from x ray that it is not allowed ( Thy make there own rules ) thy can do what ever thy want with your parcel and its a hells own job getting it back, it should come back as the seller has to put a senders address on it as its international if the post office choose to do that or at worst case send for disposal via E.O.D who will add to there collection or blow it up.

Its just another little bit taken away from us to restrict our interests, its not PC any more to do what we do, collect harmless things that once could kill, as a news paper reported about me and my court case, he had deadly de actified weapons.

International buyers you run the risk of loosing your items if inert ordnance is sent through UK post office system.

The majority of items sent through the post travel by air regardless of class/signed for etc.
The only exception would be local mail which would go by road.

Also, it's not RM or customs who refuse to carry your item, it's the Civil Aviation Authority.