What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cutaway mdoel of a 30mm x173 PGU-14/B round with uranium penetrator "3d printed"

microplastic

made with a 3d printer: cutaway model of a 30mm x173 PGU-14/B Armour Piercing Incendiary round used by GAU-8 on A-10. The PGU-14/B round has a lightweight body which contains a sub-calibre high density penetrator of Depleted Uranium (DU). In addition to its penetrating capability DU is a natural pyrophoric material which enhances the incendiary effects.
interessting way to make cutaway models...

Attachments

• IMG_7268.JPG
    IMG_7268.JPG
    243.2 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_7252.JPG
    IMG_7252.JPG
    211.9 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_7254.JPG
    IMG_7254.JPG
    256 KB · Views: 73
Yes - very interesting.
Could you describe the steps on how you produced it? (aka CAD standard .STL file via scan?)
And what type of 3D printer did you used? (i.e filament / liquid resin etc?)
Thanks
Cheers
Drew

Last edited:
I printed all parts with white pla. Then i sanded and painted all parts. The penetrator was painted black and finished with graphit powder. I glued all together and added the propellant imitation.
For the rotating bands i did no painting cause they are white plastic in origin.

The used printer is the "Artillery sidewinder X2". For the payed 250€ you get a realy good printer, running until now several 100h without any problems...
However, there are now better models available, the development of 3D printers is really very fast.

Regards

Attachments

• print.png
    print.png
    593.6 KB · Views: 27
Great reply - thank you!
The "Artillery Sidewider X2" looks impressive - I have seen very similar types (probably all from the same Chinese factory) and they have a much larger printing area than my UP Plus2 . Further, the touch screen pad which includes both nozzle and platform temperature control is very desirable as the UP has fixed nozzle temperature for either ABS or PLA - a marketing ploy to buy only UP brand filaments. (although I found a hack for the UP to change the resistance of the thermometer (temperature sensor) which now provides 20 x different temperature settings between 217 -270 degrees C.
I have found 3D printing invaluable for prototyping - mostly for making replacement parts for some of my torpedo pistols missing strikers / whiskers:

Resized_20230505_074401.jpeg

The other advantage is once the ABS prototypes have been completed, I can just send the .STL files to a commercial 3D metal printer and have steel ones made for the final product.
Cheers
Drew

The other advantage is once the ABS prototypes have been completed, I can just send the .STL files to a commercial 3D metal printer and have steel ones made for the final product.
Cheers
Drew
Thats a smart move, do you have a foto of the steel made model?

Regards

Regards
Not yet - still finalizing the ABS prototype replacement "whiskers" (levers) as I wanted to have a tapered filleted edge on the top and bottom of the exposed lever arms - as this closely matches to the original levers.
After experimenting with numerous methods, the desire result can be achieved by creating a subtractive pipe along the specific edge distance..................just been busy with other "distractions" recently...........

Test.JPG

Regards
For your reference, there are photos in this post:

Cheers
Drew