What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cutting day for spotter

spotter

UBIQUE
Staff member
Premium Member
Spent today cutting and drilling big holes in my remaining un-cut items.Also finished painting all the stuff i had previously cut
Heres the grenades i cut today,nothing fancy just used an Hacksaw
1st pic israeli mills type gren and a bakelite no69 (fuze is uncut and the det tube is just a space filler)
2nd pic WW1 german grenades
pic 3 Current issue UK prac grenade and Dutch V40 drill
Pic 4 WW2 American Pineapples

Attachments

• cutDSC00039.jpg
    cutDSC00039.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 155
  • cutDSC00044.jpg
    cutDSC00044.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 108
  • cutDSC00042.jpg
    cutDSC00042.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 127
  • cutDSC00046.jpg
    cutDSC00046.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 111
Hi alan
You are very talented they look very good thanks for showing us them.

Well done Spott,it seems you have a bit of a knack for these matey!

I may employ you to do a few of my collection soon!:xd:

best

waff

Nice cutaways

Very nice job yet again, your collection must be growing fast these days ?

Chris :tinysmile_shy_t:

spotter; said:
Spent today cutting and drilling big holes in my remaining un-cut items.Also finished painting all the stuff i had previously cut
Heres the grenades i cut today,nothing fancy just used an Hacksaw.

"Nothing fancy, just used a hacksaw." Just like slicing a pie eh? Dont let him fool you boys, to do a nice job is a good piece of work! Like if you are having a bad day already you probably dont want to make it worse by trying to cut up a piece of ordnance. I thought I'd try something easy for my first project, a 40mm M-79 grenade launcher casing, just the aluminum case. And when it was done I'd learned that from then on I'd buy sectioned items befor I'd try to make another one. So, nice work there Spotter!

The grens i have just done are simply two cuts,ive knacked plenty of nice stuff in the past and now know my limits ,the hardest in this last lot was the rubber bodied Brit practice grenade,as the saw blade kept heating up and sticking to the rubber,oiling the blade helped a little bit.
Tip buy the best quality blades you can afford

Cutting Rubber

The grens i have just done are simply two cuts,ive knacked plenty of nice stuff in the past and now know my limits ,the hardest in this last lot was the rubber bodied Brit practice grenade,as the saw blade kept heating up and sticking to the rubber,oiling the blade helped a little bit.
Tip buy the best quality blades you can afford

Hi Spotter just as an aside the best way to cut Rubber is with a high speed Grinder or cutting wheel as used on building sites-it smells awful and the pollution police may come looking for the source of smoke but you get a really good result.

Hope this helps you next time you tackle a Rubber grenade.

Chris :tinysmile_shy_t:

The best way to cut rubber is by freezing it, the best way to cool it: dry (Co2) ice.
Regards DJH

Thanks for the tips on cutting the rubber grens,
Ref Alans question the hardest bit in cutting i find is where to make the first cut on the body for displaying the item at its best,i struggle due to limited space and tools,but if you can afford good quality tools especially blades your half way there.The best cutter i know is Pzgr40,im sure he will give some tips

First try

Hi spotter,
I am going to follow your lead by trying to cut a No23 grnd, so i will let you know how it goes.
panzer 1 Dave

look forward to seeing it,if possible remove centre tube and filler screw before cutting it,take your time and enjoy

In post #1 in this topic i showed a part cut Israeli No4 mills type grenade,Today i got a drill det set so decided to finish this grenade off by cutting the centre tube

Attachments

• israelino4DSC00075.jpg
    israelino4DSC00075.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 32
Last edited: