What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Czech 20x99R ShVAK with "IOU" headstamp

Falcon

Today I got a nice inert Czech 20mm ShVAK round. It is headstamped "IOU 52". What was the name of the factory which made the case?

Also, the projectile is marked "CZO 53". What was the name of this factory?

This projectile is not the long sub calibre type, and is the correct length to feed into a ShVAK cannon. Was Czechoslovakia still using the ShVAK in 1954?

Thanks for any info.

Thanks for that. The collector I got this from assured me it was a 100% inert dummy example, so there shouldn't be any incendiary agent in it.

What was Czechoslovakia using this calibre for in 1953?

there is also a TP version that looks similar and has no core. The 20mm ShVAK cartridge was used after the war for subcaliber barrels in artillery weapons (with HE and API from WWII stocks and). Also some countries were operating Soviet WWII surplus aircraft up to the 1950's using the ShVAK-20 or B-20.
There is also Soviet production from the 1950's (HE-T and API).

I've got the same projectile, but I'am still looking for a case. Now and then I see Russian cases, but Czech ones are more difficult to find...

You are most welcome.
I looked more into the mater, the Il-10M was manufactured under licence in Czechoslovakia as B-33, about 1200 were made.
For example the 28.bilp (bitevn leteck pluk = attack air regiment) used the B-33 until it was disbanded in 1958. Its successor 28.sbolp (fighter-bomber regiment) used the Mig-15 bis.

Bob