What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Czech smoke pot BDŠ 5/15

MINENAZ16

Ordnance approved
Hello,
Maybe a question for Nabob.
Without documentation I don't understand operation and use of this pot (I assume smoke generator).
Igniter seems to be a 26.5x50 cartridge.

c4742_2.jpgkrabicka-na-naboje-bds-89324897.jpeg

Hello,
The BDŠ-5 and BDŠ-15 are smoke drums for creating large smoke screens. They were used also for screening tank units.
It was considered chemical materiel as RGD-2 and DM-11. I do not have a manual for it, only a fragment of military school text.
BDŠ-5 has 15 second „start“ time and smokes for 4-7 minutes. The BDŠ-15 starts for 20 seconds and smokes for 12-18 minutes. Depth of screen is 250 m for BDŠ-5 and 150 m for BDŠ-15.
There is 3kg of primer charge and 30 kg of main smoke charge.
They can be initiated mechanically or electrically.
The pot is placed with the valve (hole on the side) facing up (on tank against the direction of travel)
The exhaust valve is pulled and underneath placed foil punctured (the markings on the side says “before initiation puncture the foil under the valve”).
The cartridge You show is inserted under the cap with the handles. The flat bar is moved from the “safe” position (top right on Your pic) to the “armed” position (bottom left). Then it is hit with shovel or stone.
When electric ignition cartridge is used, the wires are pulled thru the hole and connected to the electric circuit.
A friend of mine has a funny story on how he ignited one inside a military compound. He described the startup as a steam engine winding up getting faster until a stable humming like a V-1 engine.
Igniter is based on the signal 26,5 cartridge.
Later versions of tanks did produce smoke screen by injecting diesel to the exhaust, so the BDŠ drums were no longer used.

Hope this helps.
Cheers, Bob.

Bds

I have something but can't read it

Attachments

• návod.jpg
    návod.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 18
Basicaly what my source wrote, only the direction on the vehicle is backwards.

The last sentences begin with:
It is prohibited
carrying of the pot with mech. ignition cartridge installed
rolling of the drum when working - the school source claims there is danger of explosion.
Safety distance is 25m from the smoking drum