What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dano's big adventure

Woke up about 8:00 this morning and it was time for the monthly St. Louis MO cigarette run (they are a whole bunch cheaper over there). Now we are from Marissa IL (population 59 including milking cows, hens and roosters) so this is a big day out. Once a month, the wife and I make the cigarette trip, sometimes stop at a restaurant for a bite and I manage to visit Alamo Military Collectables. A quick shower and 2 cups of joe and we are on the road. We pull into Columbia IL (still a bit wired from the coffee), stop at a quickie mart and get 2 "road pops" (gotta be noon somewhere). Soon we cross the bridge over the Mississippi River and are in Missouri. Quickly we arrive at "Dirt Cheap" cigarettes and alcohol, snag the smokes and another "road pop". From there it is on to Alamo. My wife decides to wait in the truck as she informs me that her stock on survival gear is in pretty good shape!! Anyway I enter Alamo and talk to the always friendly Tom Knox. Tom informs me he had purchased a small Vietnam ordnance collection but someone had been in about an hour earlier and bought every piece. Now I think to myself, f__k me, Justin must have flown in and scooped up the goods? Tom has ordnance, some WWII stuff, a smattering of WWI and a few shells were screaming at me but my intent was to get something Vietnam, and even if it had to be "go withs" that is what I was going to do. Anyway, I picked up a GI helmet and a couple of Vietnam ration tins and 3 books. Nothing major but still thinking "score" as I left. We decided on a cheap meal so it was on to "Taco Hell" for 2 flaming anal torching burritos (yum). We were crossing the bridge back into Illinois when I heard this odd sound (thought I may have lost a muffler), and I look over at Teresa and she is grinning from ear to ear, then my god, the smell (like one of them flaming burritos sat in the sun for 2 days and was hunting me down). Now I was a mechanic all my life so quickly I figure the fastest way to fix this is roll down my window!!!!! (my first thought was to say damn girl, when we get home you better wash your nappy ass, but she is a touch bi-polar, so I left that one alone) Whew!!! That was close!!! The next thing I know we are back in Columbia and there is the quickie mart, so 2 more "road pops" and soon we are home..............Dano 2010 Dano Productions - pat. pending

Attachments

• Picture 934.jpg
    Picture 934.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 43
  • Picture 935.jpg
    Picture 935.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Dan,

Nice helmet and the books too. I had collected the entire set in 1984-5 maybe? Or is it earlier than that? Pineapple Jam was my favorite about that time?

You are getting close to buying anything Vietnam related. I will start showing you some of my gear if allowed and you'd like to see it?

Tom informs me he had purchased a small Vietnam ordnance collection but someone had been in about an hour earlier and bought every piece. Now I think to myself, f__k me, Justin must have flown in and scooped up the goods?

LMFAO, I promise you it wasn't me!

Dano,

So why don't you befriend the guy that runs Alamo, so that he calls you whenever he gets Vietnam stuff, and you can ask him to hold it for you, or you make up a "want list" and give it to him so he holds stuff for you that is on your list? Just a thought.

One of the positive outcomes of making up a want list, is that you actually study the stuff as you make your list, and know more about it and how to recognize it when you come across it.

John: Did let Tom know to call me when Vietnam ordnance comes in (he was already notifying me on WW1 ordnance)
gasbomb and Green: Working on it, 30% of what you read was not true with about a 50/50 chance of that! Going to school (yes at my age) for comedy writing and proper english (punctuation and such) as I know I am "rough" but gonna (going) to get better...Dano

great story dan whens the next installment? and whats a road pop?:tinysmile_eyebrow_t
Thanks Paul, probably next month on cigarette run
Road Pop - 24oz can of beer. That part was fiction as I drive and I drink, but do not drink and drive......Dano
P.S. Oh yeah, "Taco Hell" is actually "Taco Bell" and does not have a "flaming anal torching burrito" on their menu!!

Last edited: