What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Daves stuff from Beltring.

SG500

Premium Member
Had a good day at Beltring today.

Attached some photos of a few of the goodies I got today.

Bofors L70 HE
47mm "P" gun round
37mm Madsen case
Crayford (nose fuzed version)

Dave.

Attachments

• Beltring finds July 09 003.jpg
    Beltring finds July 09 003.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 132
  • Beltring finds July 09 006.jpg
    Beltring finds July 09 006.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 78
  • Beltring finds July 09 007.jpg
    Beltring finds July 09 007.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 95
  • Beltring finds July 09 004.jpg
    Beltring finds July 09 004.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 96
  • Beltring finds July 09 005.jpg
    Beltring finds July 09 005.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 75
A few more photos.
Dave.

Attachments

• Beltring finds July 09 020.jpg
    Beltring finds July 09 020.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 38
  • Beltring finds July 09 021.jpg
    Beltring finds July 09 021.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 42
  • Beltring finds July 09 009.jpg
    Beltring finds July 09 009.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 38
  • Beltring finds July 09 017.jpg
    Beltring finds July 09 017.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 51
  • Beltring finds July 09 018.jpg
    Beltring finds July 09 018.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 47
One of the "P" gun headstamp.
Dave.

Attachments

• Beltring finds July 09 011.jpg
    Beltring finds July 09 011.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 66
Beltring

Really nice finds Dave, thanks for showing. Did you happen to notice what was there in the way of WW1 German grenades?? Dano

Thanks Dano.
I didn't go looking for German grenades but there was a hell of a lot of all things German on many of the stalls, there were certainly stick, egg and Krugal (is that how you spell it?) grenades there. The photos Chris 42 RQ put on the forum last night gives you a good idea on what was available.
Take care.
Dave.

Dave,

Congrats! Very nice finds! Its great to see the nose fuzed Crayford.

Hey, I'm not familiar with the P gun. Do you or does anyone else have any info to share about the P gun? Also, I've seen a number of headstamps that include VAEL What does it mean?

Thanks,

John

Last edited:
Vael !

VAEL is Vickers Armstrong Engineering Limited if I am not mistaken.
A very very large Ordnance/Gun manufacturer in its day.

Beltring Display.

Gentlemen, as regards Grenades there were a fair few but widely spread around the stalls.
I saw one "Discuss" grenade (I think that is what it was called) and the odd 36 or No5 types but you have to go looking for them-I was not looking for them and found a fair few, also Mortar bombs were also dotted around in fair numbers, so presumably if you are looking for specific items you will find them !

Most of the Ammo seems to be centred around aisle "H" especially on the field end of that row.

However there were two other stalls that were also largely just Ordnance and you will easily find those as they are again near to aisle "H".

I would like to pass my thanks to the following Gentlemen who submitted to having a picture taken-
Waffenampt
Tigbrand
Charlie
Fjordhouse
Mad Bomber
And of course anyone else I unwittingly caught in the shutter of whom I do not know.

This really is as SG500 says a "must go" and preferably with a full wallet !

Thanks Chris!

I've been studying the whole Nordenfelt-Vickers-Armstrong story recently.

47 mm 'P' gun cart. case.

One of the "P" gun headstamp.
Dave.
Great item, l've always wondered if two case lengths were designed- my one has similar headstamp. Case is about 12 inches in length. If you want details of exact markings let me know.Could you supply if poss the length and head dimensions from your case, best regards, Ron.

Vickers !

Thanks Chris!

I've been studying the whole Nordenfelt-Vickers-Armstrong story recently.
Hi Hazord, Vickers is yet another one of those great British companies into engineering fine weapons and munitions.
They existed until fairly recently I think, about 1990 ?

Dave,

Congrats! Very nice finds! Its great to see the nose fuzed Crayford.

Hey, I'm not familiar with the P gun. Do you or does anyone else have any info to share about the P gun? Also, I've seen a number of headstamps that include VAEL What does it mean?

Thanks,

John

Thanks John.
There's a really good article on Tony Williams web site as follows:
http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/Pgun.htm
And yes ........ it is the same specimen
Dave.

Great item, l've always wondered if two case lengths were designed- my one has similar headstamp. Case is about 12 inches in length. If you want details of exact markings let me know.Could you supply if poss the length and head dimensions from your case, best regards, Ron.

Hi Ron, thanks. I would be interested in seeing photos of your P gun round and case measurements/markings please.

Measurements as follows:-

Case length 325mm
Head diameter 59.7mm
Rim thickness 5mm

Projectile length 168mm
Projectile weight 4.25lb
Tracer diameter 14.23mm at mouth then 9.47mm (further inside)
Tracer depth 56.79mm
Depth of driving band 16mm

Hope this helps.

Dave.

P gun

Breif info on this gun and ammo please as its a new one to me, my guess is it didn't make service. Thanks. 2pr

Ah yes,i remember that P gun round very well. :)
Sorry to be late as usual on some of these threads,but they do get lost quickly when the forums busy.

W

P gun

Thanks for the link to the P gun info. Mind must have gone into idle mode, I've read Dave Birch's book and should have looked quarry nildram. Appologies.