What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Depth Charge Pistol Box?

Millsman

Premium Member
Just got this box. The seller had no knowledge of it, The handles and lock fitting look very sturdy and pre WW2. Anyone got an idea of date or nationality?

John

Attachments

• SSCN5097.JPG
    SSCN5097.JPG
    62.6 KB · Views: 93
Naval boxes have the code letters stamped on the ends, any sign of these?

I didn't see any but will double check tomorrow. I Have seen similar stampings on WW2 Grenade boxes. Looking at the lock and handles on this one it looks more WW1 in style. I've not been able to check out the Mk IX pistol yet.

John

I've seen that style of clasp on other boxes used for naval stores. C190 and C102 (I think) used for 3 pdr blanks

I'll do a close up of the lock tomorrow. Similar in style but much older. My gut instinct was that the box was WW1 or earlier, with the DC use perhaps a reuse?

John

Hi John according to the book Depth Charge by Chris Henry [Pen & Sword 2005 ] the mark ix*** Pistol was developed in 1942/43 for depth charges dropped by aircraft ,so i dont know if this classes it as a RAF or Navy box and is it a older box been reused regards Dave

Hi Dave, that's useful. Following Combat's advice I checked the ends of the box and found 3 44 stamped in. So that all fits with your information. The box seems to be older (see photo of lock) but I think in all probability it's from 44.

John

Attachments

• SSCN5123.JPG
    SSCN5123.JPG
    59.4 KB · Views: 25
Naval box

Ive a few naval boxes,just like yours. Nice find.:tinysmile_grin_t:

Hi John i dont know a lot about Navy boxs ,but on E-Bay 260579922630 theres a 2pdr ammo box [for the quad pom pom AA gun] its dated 1937 made from steel with the same sort of locks ,regards Dave

That's cose Dave but mine does look older, lockwise. Guess we'll never know.

Thanks for all your help.

John

Hi John i dont know a lot about Navy boxs ,but on E-Bay 260579922630 theres a 2pdr ammo box [for the quad pom pom AA gun] its dated 1937 made from steel with the same sort of locks ,regards Dave

Thats a C190 that I previously provided a link for :D

Yes thanks again, but the point I'm trying to make is that the lock / catch on the box, whilst of a similar style looks older and is of heavier construction, therefore different.

John