What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

DeRustification.

gothica7

Premium Member
Hi all,

bought something called Deox C today. A kilo of a powder that will make up 20 l of derusting liquid that the product information says is almost too good to be true. Anyone used it on the forum and how good were the results?

Made by Bilt-Hamber labs in the UK, only works on ferrous materials inc S steel.

Andy

I've used it. It works quite well - for best results I'd recommend using a strong concentration and ideally heating it as well.

Mark

Cheers Mark,

will give it a go over Christmas and show a before and after on a couple of No 5s and a No 20 gren.

Andy

Cheers Mark,

will give it a go over Christmas and show a before and after on a couple of No 5s and a No 20 gren.

Andy
Be great to see the results. I have a few things that need cleaning up, but haven't really put too much thought into it.

I have always done it the hard way before, scraping, grinding, wire brushing and polishing. Be good to try something that does all this in one with little effort. Will give it a go on the Rayburn as i have a stainless steel container and its supposed to be ok with this stuff.

Andy

When the Deox-C has dissolved all the rust, polish the metal with a wire brush wheel on an electric drill. This will leave the surface of the metal nice and shiny. Then 'seal' the metal with a good coating of lubricating oil - leave for an hour or so and then wipe off. The metal will be stable and stay shiny.

Mark

PS. This is suitable for robust items made of steel with no original paint left. No need to use the oil if you repaint.