What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Diameter of Mills Pull Rings...

staples57

BOCN Supporter
Asking the experts...

Original ring pulls are getting pretty scarce on this side of the pond (Canada). To that extent, many collectors (myself included) find it necessary to "make do" with reproduction ring pulls. Typically a standard key ring is used and artificially aged to make it look correct.

My understanding is that there are four types of Mills safety pin ring pulls.
(Please correct me if that's incorrect)

1. Large "key ring" style (No. 36M)
  2. Large welded ring (No. 23 & No. 36)
  3. Small "key ring" style (No. 5)
  4. Small welded ring (No. 5)
My question is... what is the diameter of each type of ring pull?

Thanks,
Brad

Asking the experts...

Original ring pulls are getting pretty scarce on this side of the pond (Canada). To that extent, many collectors (myself included) find it necessary to "make do" with reproduction ring pulls. Typically a standard key ring is used and artificially aged to make it look correct.

My understanding is that there are four types of Mills safety pin ring pulls.
(Please correct me if that's incorrect)

1. Large "key ring" style (No. 36M)
  2. Large welded ring (No. 23 & No. 36)
  3. Small "key ring" style (No. 5)
  4. Small welded ring (No. 5)
My question is... what is the diameter of each type of ring pull?

Thanks,
Brad

Small welded ring is 25mm
Small key ring is 20mm
large welded ring is 30mm
Large key ring is 30mm (31mm for no 5)

These are the measurments of my original rings, nothing official, just measured them with my kids ruler.
Hope this helps

Dont forget though that none of the original ringpulls would have been in metric sizes.

Andy

I've just measured 4 of my small rings and they all came in between 20.32 and 20.65 mm. In Imperial size this would equate to 13/16th of an inch as the average size.

John

I've just measured 4 of my small rings and they all came in between 20.32 and 20.65 mm. In Imperial size this would equate to 13/16th of an inch as the average size.

John

I would also agree with you on that John.

Andy

That would make sense. Mine are a little out of shape so a very accurate measurement can't really be made with my 'Little princess' ruler. I am useless with imperial unless its foot and yards!