What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Difference Between 8,8cm Shells.

Grenademan2005

Hey Guys:
I need your knowledge here as mine is limited in this field. Information and difference between these two 8,8cm shells, please.

Attachments

• DSC07382.jpg
    DSC07382.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 101
  • DSC07384.jpg
    DSC07384.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 85
  • DSC07386.jpg
    DSC07386.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 76
  • 8,8 Shell 1.jpg
    8,8 Shell 1.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 112
  • 8,8 Shell 4.jpg
    8,8 Shell 4.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 74
  • 8,8 Shell 5.jpg
    8,8 Shell 5.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 71
The unpainted one is 8,8 cm Sprgr.43 ( see boat tail ), intended for Flak 41.
The yellow one is 8,8 cm Sprgr. L/4,5, intended for Flak 18...37.

The first one is pretty rare, the second type Finnish Army sold in the past thousands of.

The second type you may also find pre-fragmented or plain.

Hey Miguel,

I'll second Tmine35 on that with the addition that the Spr.Gr. 43 was also used with PaK 43 and KwK 43 besides the FlaK 41.

The "43" is indeed somewhat rare, but that is compared to the other 8,8 cm shells, there is a rather regular supply of the "43" on sites like Egun etc.

greetz.

Yes pzgr, I forgot that. I don't have necessary manuals to check it but was pre-fragmented Sprgr 43 used also in PaK and KwK or had them plain Sprgr 43 shells?
To my understanding pre-fragmented shells primarily are for AA-use?

Yes T mine 35 is correct, the KWK 43 used plain projectiles, small bands, the different between the AA and KWK is they used an other type of explosives and the KWK is marked with 3 white stripes.

Hey Miguel,

I'll second Tmine35 on that with the addition that the Spr.Gr. 43 was also used with PaK 43 and KwK 43 besides the FlaK 41.

The "43" is indeed somewhat rare, but that is compared to the other 8,8 cm shells, there is a rather regular supply of the "43" on sites like Egun etc.

greetz.

Yes, I know that site very well :tinysmile_shy_t:, but what you can find in is not the condition that I like, mostly of times are in very bad condition. I say mostly because the "plain one" is from egun, so no always, but 99 from 100.

Yes T mine 35 is correct, the KWK 43 used plain projectiles, small bands, the different between the AA and KWK is they used an other type of explosives and the KWK is marked with 3 white stripes.

The Spr.Gr.43 comes with a 8,8cm Flak case from 1938. I know maybe it was add for the previous owner, but...

Attachments

• DSC07381.jpg
    DSC07381.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 35
  • DSC07387.jpg
    DSC07387.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 46
Hey Miguel,

Ben's (Fjordhouse's) answer would indeed indicate just that.
He is very knowledgable when it comes to German large calibre ammo!

This is what I understand now as far as the "43" is concerned:

"43" prefragmented FlaK 41 only
"43" plain, both FlaK and KwK/PaK, but with difference in explosive filler type.
"43" KwK marked with three white stripes, narrow drivingbands.

Then there is another type yet; the "43" with wide drivingbands.

http://egun.de/market/item.php?id=3119336

I believe this was used only with KwK 43 (and PaK 43 ???), of which the barrel had more than 500 rounds fired through it (at least this is the case with the PzGr 43 with wide drivingbands).

greetz,

Menno.

Last edited:
I know Ben and his knowledge on German large caliber, but he only can say Cerveza, Patatas and Vamos in Spanish.... :bigsmile:
What would be the right fuze for "my" Gr43 and value and difficulty for find it and a Flak 41 case?