What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does anybody have/own any mines...

V40

I am looking for anybody here that has any mines that are of the "Miznay-Shardin Effect" for anti-vehicle use.

Mines

Your talking about the Shaped charge mines like the Russian TMK-2 ? ive now sold all my mine collection , but remember that one well.
Steve

Not sure if it was the Russians who used it or not? The Miznay-Shardin Effect is where the the mine itself has like a plate of metal (cooper) on top of the mine. When the mine is detonated the plate blows first, inverted, and becomes a molten jet if it detonates far above the mine and an inverted platter that slams against the bottom creating spalling on the inside of the tank if it were close to mine detonation. It is somewhere in in this article in more detail.

http://www.gichd.ch/fileadmin/pdf/publications/Mechanical_study/Mechanical_study_chapter5.pdf

Miznay-Shardin was an early version - kind of 1950s -70s. It then evolved into the long-rod penetrator, now is simply known by a more generic family name as EFPs, explosively formed penetrators. Not only for mines, it formed the basis for a number of EOD tools as well. Probably 20 countries have used different types of EFPs in mines, there are quite a few in private collections.

Thanks, my friend. I also believe they are in use today in the middle east if I do say so myself and I know exactly where at.:tinysmile_hmm_t2:

I have U.S. mines using EFP technology to include the M21, RAAM, and SLAM. I also have Mon 100 and MON 200 Soviet design which use the effect for shrapnel purposes, but are very effective as antiarmor devices against armor in Irag and Afghanistan.

EFP technolgy has improved to the point that the self forging fragment that penetrates the armor, can actually form fins at the tail end that aid in keeping it on a straight path. It is done by machining the copper plate. There is a huge amount of info on the internet about it. Some submunitions such as the SADARM, BONUS, BLU 91 Gator, BLU 101, Sensor Fuzed Weapon BLU108, etc. use the same principle.

Did you have a question, need more info, or what?

Photos are of the BLU 108 Skeet with machined copper plate as described above for use in the Sensor Fuzed Weapon.

Air delivered weapons described here:

http://www.designation-systems.net/usmilav/asetds/u-b.html

Attachments

• blu-108-1.jpg
    blu-108-1.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 46
  • skeet-1.jpg
    skeet-1.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:
Hazard,

I was just asking if anybody had one in their collection so that i could see it up close. Also wanted to know if they are the most profolictic mine used today.:tinysmile_hmm_t2::tinysmile_hmm_t2:

They are becoming more prolific because they are much more efficient than blast style antitank mines. They are directional, can be dispersed from artillery or other methods such as the Volcano. They are directional and do not require contact to kill armor. They require less explosive. The MON 200 kills people from 200 meters.

How many more positive features do I need to list. I will shoot some photos.

The most prolific mine in use today is probably still the PMN anti-personnel mine. Cheap, simple, hard to detect, it's the Mills bomb of the landmine world. Originally Soviet, they have been made by over a dozen countries, none of which are members of the landmine treaty, and it is found in nearly every conflict area of the world, Sri Lanka to Kuwait, Cambodia to Central Africa. It's not sexy, but it's out there.