What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does anyone know what this is please?

Adder

Hiya,

I went metal detecting today in some local woods where the army used to train and amongst some bullet casings and grenade pins I came across this item which I can't identify.

snapshot200908031.jpg

It has got printed on the side PAIN WESSEX 01/92 946. I'm new to collecting military ordnance so sorry for seeming like a noob if it's something simple :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Thanks

Adder

Flare

It is an empty case from a small flare gun, much like a pen. The flare screws on the end and is fired by a simple spring firing pin.

I am not sure what the name or model number is.

Regards
TonyE

It's a small signal flare, fired from a pencil size and type launcher.

flare

Might be worth looking to see if Pains Wessex have a web site that might show their products. 2pr

I'd just finished checking their website when I read your suggestion to do so :tinysmile_shy_t:

I couldn't find it on their website so i've emailed the company to ask if they know what the model name/number is. So fingers crossed, hopefully they get back to me.

16mm hand fire miniflares

Attachments

• istockphoto_1859372-mini-flares.jpg
    istockphoto_1859372-mini-flares.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 42
pain wessex

If you "google" pain wessex" you get a s___ load of hits, all dealing with the flares. a world of info out there on them. cheers. Dano

White No. 1370-99-965-5620
Green No. 1370-99-965-5621
Red No. 1370-99-965-5622
Regards Tony

Thanks for the help everyone.

FC Barcelona? :tinysmile_eyebrow_t

Don't worry I'm not a fan :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Bought it as a souvenir when I visited their ground a few years ago, get a pennant from any famous footy ground that I visit, I'm a Sheffield United fan...which is probebly even worse actually :tinysmile_tongue_t:

Last edited:
This is the military version of this flare.

I think you need a FAC for this type in the UK since the threaded cup is considered a barrel

The civilian version is like a small spigot mortar with the flare being enclosed in a cup that flies off with the flare. The primer is held in a plastic cap that slides into the launcher. It does not have the threaded cup on it like this one.

see http://www.pwss.com/ProductSpec.aspx?ProductId=14&CatId=1

A certain group of gents I used to `work` with used to have (inc me) barrels made that you could load a short or long .22 round into. This they then put into their escape & evasion kit.
The barrel would screw on to the pen part of the flare kit.
Pushed up against the body & then fired it certainly would spoil the moment for someone!!!