What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dopp.Z.92 Question

jvollenberg

Ordnance approved
I have a DOPP.Z.92 fuze images from Aberdeen. I am trying to figure of is this mark (either an O or C) is part of the fuze or put there by someone else.

Any ideas?

Joe

Attachments

• ICE-JV-424-2.JPG
    ICE-JV-424-2.JPG
    193.8 KB · Views: 32
  • ICE-JV-424-13.JPG
    ICE-JV-424-13.JPG
    286.8 KB · Views: 47
  • ICE-JV-424-16.JPG
    ICE-JV-424-16.JPG
    229.4 KB · Views: 30
Do you know what it mean? I have seen pictures of the fuze without it so I thought it might be a museum marking.

Joe

it's a brass screw cut into half from turning the fuze shape. This screw is closing a hole which is filled with a spring and a plunger. This plunger sets back when firing and is blocking the time ring (it can't rotate). This feature was added to the fuze because they had problems that the time ring moved slightly from the projectile rotation.

Thanks Alpini. Do you know if there was a fuze designation change when this modification was incorporated?

No there was definitively no change of the designation. The change was made in 1899. The Dopp. Z. 98 got the same change but I don't know in which year.

a picture says more than 1000 words:

Attachments

• 92-1899change.jpg
    92-1899change.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 40