What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Double Bladed spring loaded Cannon Ball ?

Gspragge

Premium Member
Has anyone seen the likes of this before ?
(Not mine) Blades very sharp on one edge, no markings ~

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-09-29 at 7.40.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-09-29 at 7.40.21 AM.png
    204.9 KB · Views: 59
  • Screen Shot 2023-09-29 at 7.40.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-09-29 at 7.40.38 AM.png
    298.3 KB · Views: 56
  • Screen Shot 2023-09-29 at 7.40.52 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-09-29 at 7.40.52 AM.png
    193.5 KB · Views: 56
  • Screen Shot 2023-09-29 at 7.41.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-09-29 at 7.41.02 AM.png
    183.6 KB · Views: 51
As Leaflet says various types of projectiles were made for cutting rigging and sails. Have only seen them in museums.

I hope some one knows this one ~
For me I think this may be some ones Pattented idea which failed as I don't
see how one can be sure at all that the sharp edges of the blades will be facing forwards ?
This thing could be very erratic I think ~

Last edited:
Whose Navy ? Fired from a smaller calibre gun or perhaps a bundle of them from a larger piece ?

May be of interest........ comes under the "chainshot" definition. which is a 'family' of unique items, used for the purposes of dismantling a ship's movement.
The illustrated one is dated 16th C - your one would be latter IMHO.
Very nice example - if genuine - a very rare Museum quality specimen indeed.

Attachments

• Chain Shots-3.jpg
    Chain Shots-3.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 37
  • Chain Shots-4.jpg
    Chain Shots-4.jpg
    532.9 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
I hope some one knows this one ~
For me I think this may be some ones Pattented idea which failed as I don't
see how one can be sure at all that the sharp edges of the blades will be facing forwards ?
This thing could be very erratic I think ~
Most types of chain /bar shots were only fired at close ranges due to the obvious erratic aerodynamic behaviour as you have already highlighted - however quite effective!

The much missed Artillery Regimental museum in the Rotunda at Woolwich used to display a magnificent collection of "round shot" which included many devices for removing ships rigging.Various sizes of chain and double bladed were on show .There are contemporary accounts from Trafalgar and others period actions that make mention of the whirrling sounds made by these devices when fired at French ships

The then Army School of Ammo in the 1980s had a museum and one of the exhibits was similar to your item, except the three pieces of metal that were deployed from the cannonball were much thicker. Their purpose was to cut through the mast of a sailing ship.