What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Draft card

Slick

The lovely bride found a box of old photos that included the pictured documents. For those of us living in the States back then, this was a mandatory piece of ID at the time. These are the official Draft Cards that one might have seen being burned in protest on the evening newscasts. The 1-S class allowed for a student deferment from the draft. Issued at the time of turning 18 years old(I was in high school). The 1-A classification, "upgraded" upon graduation, was a sure ticket for a one year, all expenses paid trip to sunny Southeast Asia. Free room and board included with a monthly stipend. Who could complain?
My lottery number ended up being 153, so I was pretty safe from the conscription as they only got into the 70s by that time. But still, you never knew. I ended up enlisting in the Navy, so it was a moot point.
Jolly, V40, etal, I'm guessing y'all had one of these back in the day.

Draft card.jpg

I had one. I was 1D deferred because I was in college in Air Force ROTC. Since I was going into the Air Force at college in August, I didn't register for the draft on my 18th birthday at the beginning of Summer. When I did go in to register, you would have thought that I had taken a shot at the President! Boy, were those people jacked up. I had to sign a paper that said that I didn't do it on purpose.

Last edited:
I volunteered to go, just for the ordnance. Then they told me that they weren't taking 12 year olds -

I was a hair too late for Vietnam buddy. If I'd been born immediately after my brother, I'd of been gone and serve at least 13 months there. Not bragging. But I did have to register once in high school again. For the life of me, I cannot remember that number. They say you will remember three items forever in your mine: Your SSN, Your Number on a draft card, and your DOB.

They say you will remember three items forever....
I'm going with first "kiss", birth of my first (only) child, and FIRST DIVORCE! While I was in AF ROTC, in College, I remember my draft lottery number was something like 237--but I had signed some sort of contract..... One semester the old grades were looking particularly poor, and they weren't ever GREAT, and I went to ask the ROTC Sargeant about what it was going to be like when I flunked out and my contract required me to enlist. He asked what made me think the AF wanted me at all if I was too stupid to stay in college....
Taber