What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drawings of Japanese 30mm and German 55mm rounds

Tony Williams

I try to maintain a reference collection of typical examples of automatic cannon ammunition, which I use a lot for photography for my website, books, magazine articles, Jane's etc. However, there are some items which are more or less impossible to get hold of. So I had the idea a year or so ago to have exact replicas made to serve this purpose. The first two I had made (thanks Mick!) were two current Chinese rounds - the 25x183B and the 37x240. You can see what they look like below. They are made from solid aluminium with a smooth base (no primer pocket). They look very convincing, and have encouraged me to get some similar replicas made of other very scarce rounds - but to ensure that they are accurate I need measured drawings.

What I'm looking for are drawings of the three Japanese 30mm aircraft gun rounds: the 30x92RB (Navy Type 2), 30x114 (Army Ho-155) and 30x122 (Navy Type 5). Also the experimental German 55x175 RB round for the RhB MK112 aircraft cannon. If anyone can help I will be most grateful.

23-28b.jpg

34-37.jpg

Hi Tony,

At this very moment a 30x115 Ho-155 casing is in transit from Japan to me. I hope to have it in hands on April 22nd. I realise this isn't a complete round, but at least it's a good start, as for the casing. Would it help you to get the precise dimensions from that casing at least?
Also: I have a further nearly equally rare Japanese casing over here (which I can measure anytime you like), it's for the 37x145 Ho-204 cannon. This is another beast that's about equally rare as the 30mm ones.
Please let me know if you need any measurements from either.

Cheers,
Olafo