What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drill l2a2 grenade

paul the grenade

Hi All.
Can anyone shed some light on this drill L2 grenade.
The official drill & practice versions were the L3 and L4 but this one is marked L2A2
is it an early trial version before they were designated L3/4
???
Cheers, Paul.

Attachments

• Page4L2TrialDrill.jpg
    Page4L2TrialDrill.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 66
Hi Paul

Are the markings stencilled or painted with a brush?? Perhaps someone trying to redo the markings made a mistake?? I would expect a factory painted grenade to have stenceilled or roll printed markings.

L2A2 in Practice Livery

Paul,

I believe they were made for trials. If I can I find the notes I have I will send chapter & verse.

Norman

Hi All.
Can anyone shed some light on this drill L2 grenade.
The official drill & practice versions were the L3 and L4 but this one is marked L2A2
is it an early trial version before they were designated L3/4
???
Cheers, Paul.

L2A2 in Practice Livery

Paul,

I'm having trouble locating any info on this. Are there any markings stencilled on the back? Starting B4 or TS something like that?

Paul,

I believe they were made for trials. If I can I find the notes I have I will send chapter & verse.

Norman

Hi Norman.
markings on the back are A3/6/767
The lever is marked L25A3 INERT CY 6/69 and is bronze green instead of blue.
The fuze is different to the normal drill version on the L4 in that the detonator has no hole in the side and has been painted black.
Hope this helps.
Paul.

heres a few more pics.
paul.

Attachments

• L2 REAR VIEW.jpg
    L2 REAR VIEW.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 29
  • l2 fuze.jpg
    l2 fuze.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 34
  • l2 fuze 2.jpg