What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Drill round ID

zephyr4

Can any one date these drill rounds.
I hope you guys are not getting fed up with me.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Thanks z4

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 38
Hi Zephyr4
Your drill rounds are MkIII, used with red wooden bullets from 1907,yours were obviously made after 1915 & 1914 because of the dates stamped when they were origonally produced as VII ball
Regards Tony

Thanks for the info Tony, can you help with this round.

z4.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 18
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 30
Hi zephry4,
They are MkVI drill rounds,well the photo of the headstamp is,check if they are all the same Mk 10 was the last in the series,nice MkIII stripper clip by the way!
Cheers Tony

Thanks for the reply Tony.
I do have another clip with 3 more in(was 5)and they all have the same stamps,can you tell me what date these are and is the clip right for the bullets. I have some more rounds with wooden heads but there are not the same if I get time I will put a picture on here later.

My zephyr was a MK111 Tony.

z4.

I am not sure if these are practice round or if some one has made the wooden heads for the empty cases.

z4.

Attachments

• clip.jpg
    clip.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 16
  • cb.jpg
    cb.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 13
  • p340.jpg
    p340.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 13
  • bne.jpg
    bne.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 10
Hi Z4,
These are German 7.92mm bulleted blanks,the clip with them is rightish as the blanks would have been in non disingrating links,the clips are for the K98 rifle but would not have used these type of blanks. The .303" MkIII clip was,if I recall correctly, was 1916 issue.
photo is of MG42 linked belt with ball rounds
Cheers Tony

Attachments

• P8190009.jpg
    P8190009.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 15
Thanks for the information Tony,Its nice to know the clip is for the k98 rifle because I have a k98 with a zf41 scope fitted.

Thanks again z4.

7.92mm

The 7.92mm rounds are Platzpatrone 33 blanks and were the standard issue for both rifles and machine guns through to the end of WW2.

...and back to my perrenial plea, can we call them bullets or projectiles and not "heads" please? The head of a case is the end with the primer, hence "headstamp". Thanks for indulging an old pedant!

Regards
TonyE