What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dutch No1 Practice

spotter

UBIQUE
Staff member
Premium Member
The attatched pictures show a practice version of the Dutch no1 Grenade i had given this weekend.
The following is from Lex,s website describing the HE version
"The egg grenade was made of cast iron.
It had a brass pull-friction fuze that was placed in the body, secured by a small screw.
The detonator had to be inserted by the user, carefully unscrewing the base plug making sure no explosives would fall out. Base screws were made of zinc, steel or bakelite.
Unscrewing the safety cap revealed the pull wire attached to a lead pull-button.
Early types had a black body, the newer model (from 1937 on) was painted green.
Bodies that carry a black painted band have a reduced filling.

Weight 600gram including 65gram Trotyl.

In 1940 the German army took over the remaining stocks of egg-grenades renaming them "handgranate 312 (h)."

and i believe this also from lex describes the practice version
"exactly the same body as the No1, but there was no HE-filling. The body was filled with a mixture of sand and saw dust, and had a yellow band painted over the side. A detonator had to be placed, and when thrown, the body would fall apart in only 2 or 3 big pieces. This way the grenade could be used on small "unsafe" training grounds."

Attachments

• 1DSC00072.jpg
    1DSC00072.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 30
  • 1DSC00071.jpg
    1DSC00071.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 1DSC00068.jpg
    1DSC00068.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 30
  • no1draw.jpg
    no1draw.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 49
Hi Spotter.
I have a base plug for one of these if you need it. pm your detais and i'll get it in the post for nowt.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t
Cheers, Paul.

Is there anything in particular that makes you think this is a practice one rather than HE ?

i know the person who originally recovered this grenade on a clearance task ,so im just going by what they told me

Heres one i sectioned a few years ago.
Cheers, Paul.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Attachments

• SectionedDutchNo1.jpg
    SectionedDutchNo1.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 44
Really nice work, Paul. Dutch WWII grenades are difficult to find. They are ones still in my want list :tinysmile_cry_t4:

received a pull button and 39 dated base plug for my No1 today from paul the grenade today,Thank you for helping Paul it looks a lot better now
Now just need to find a cap, im going to cut this grenade .

Attachments

• no1DSC00119.jpg
    no1DSC00119.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 17
  • no1DSC00115.jpg
    no1DSC00115.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 20
Caps for these are made from sheet steel so rust away quickly, maybe Lex might be able to help, his neck of the woods ? Tony.

yes unfortunately i dont think lex has any,,i got the body from him when he stayed at my house at the weekend.Like you say the caps are thin ,so probably nearly impossible to get

dont know if these are of any help at all in case you fancy trying to make one

Attachments

• MVC-747S.JPG
    MVC-747S.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 12
  • MVC-748S.JPG
    MVC-748S.JPG
    30.9 KB · Views: 16
  • MVC-749S.JPG
    MVC-749S.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 10
  • MVC-750S.JPG
    MVC-750S.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 15
Thanks tony,wouldnt know where to start on fabricating one though,,ill wait one will turn up one day

Is a cuted grenade more worth than a whole grenade?
I want a cap to
icon11.gif

Hello Freaky,,i would think a complete grenade is worth more than a cut one,i just prefer to have cut stuff ,