What's new
British Ordnance Collectors Network

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dynamit Nobel Display Box

EODGUY

I picked this wooden box up years ago and have not seen another one like it. I figure it can't be the only one and wonder if anyone on the British/European side of the water has seen one. I'm not sure how well the photos will show. When you open the box you see a layer with their Maneuver, Training and Short Range cartridges, both complete and sectioned rounds in 7.62x51, 5.56x45, 9x19 and 12.7x99mm. You lift out that layer and underneath are their mortar, artillery and recoilless rifle practice subcaliber cartridges and a training hand grenade. The headstamps are 1962, 1966 and 1968 dated and I obtained it, if I recall, in the mid-1970's. I assume it is a sample case carried by factory reps to arms shows and customers, but have nothing to support that.

Attachments

• Dynamit Nobel Box.jpg
    Dynamit Nobel Box.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 75
  • Dynamit Nobel box, top.jpg
    Dynamit Nobel box, top.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 165
  • Dynamit Nobel box, lower.jpg
    Dynamit Nobel box, lower.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 149
Very beautiful find! Have you ever made contact with Bill Woodin? That kind of stuff is right up his field of interest and caliber range.

Ya gotta love those dealer sample cases.

Attachments

• IMG_0403rs.jpg
    IMG_0403rs.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0404rs.jpg
    IMG_0404rs.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0405rs.jpg
    IMG_0405rs.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 31
That is a really great boxed collection that you have there, great find! Thanks for showing.

Darren

So that's what the rest of this thing looks like.

I believe the 'innards' consisted of a polythene sack containing a chalk fill with a delay and burster. It was trialled in the UK but the first version was too feeble and the second had a burster regarded as too dangerous for training.